No announcement yet.

Fly Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a 5/6wt I got in Colorado some years ago and use everytime I go back. The wife and kids got me a 8/9wt at bass pro last fathers day for bay fishing, but the real that came on it is really small, so I bought a new 10/11 reel that I got a great deal on for the rod. I can put plenty of backing on it and still use 8/9wt line, so not even the biggest red can spool me.....

I had some beginner lessons in Colorado 5 years ago but nothing else. I have good days and bad days as far as casting goes. I've thought of going up to FTU and taking some lessons, but something else always comes up.
    Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

Originally posted by TAMUGfisher12 View Post
      Does anybody know of a place here in Galveston that offers fly casting lessons? I have a nice set up but do not know how to use it. Thanks.
      Bass Pro Shops has workshops on Fly fishing, but that is one of the few I know of!

Comment

Those events cater to a wide range of people from beginners to guys looking to expand there technique. I'd suggest you get 1 on 1 before mixing it up with a group. It can be intimidating and you can easily get frustrated which isn't good in any finese activity. Go practice in your back yard or while down at the beach hit me up and I'll show you an easy technique. BTW don't put a hook in the first time or if you do put a piece of cork over the hook so you don't pierce your ear
        Last edited by WestEndAngler; April 1, 2009, 09:14 AM.
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

new but learning...

I got a 8 wt. fly rod for christmas, and have been learning to cast it at a local pond, and have been wanting to give it a go in salt water. If anybody has any advice feel free to pass it along. I hope to get down to some salt water in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

kdawg - send me a PM the next time you go down. I'd be willing to help you out. No problems!!

Comment

Two words : Gummy minnow

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                Two words : Gummy minnow
                I once used this gummy minnow and caught a whale.
                Last edited by Pop Fly; September 5, 2009, 02:32 PM.
                Popper in the morning Popper in the evening

Comment

Originally posted by Pop Fly View Post
                  I once used this gummy minnow and caught a whale.
                  ahhh come on Brad!!
                  MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
                    ahhh come on Brad!!
                    What ever caught it at band camp last year........go make me a sandwich!
                    Popper in the morning Popper in the evening

Comment

Originally posted by Pop Fly View Post
                      What ever caught it at band camp last year........go make me a sandwich!
                      thought it was ahh nevermind
                      MANVEL MOB

Comment

i met A GUY at bass pro shops that offered me fly lessons its been a good 6 monts and i never called him you could give it a try i dont know his rates if he is still does it any more.
                        his name is Mike Kolaski his # is 281-732-4964 you can give it a try
                        Itching To Be Fishing!

Comment

Guys, I sem to have overlooked this post somehow. didn't realize that so many of you were already into Fly Fishing. I am available in the Clear Lake Galveston Area for casting lessons.

Credentials: 1998 Certified Fly Casting Instructor by the Federation of Fly Fishers. And been doing it ever since. I was the writer who preceeded Casey Smart as the Fly editor for Gulf Coast Connections, prior to and including when the current owners of the magazine bought it. I was Also Co-Founder of the Coastal Fly Fishing School in 2000. This was a school that Bill Gamel and I put together to help introduce peole to fly fishing. I am in the process of trying to revive the School, but in the meantime, I'm avalable for 1 on 1 lessons. Check other posts for more.

Check with any of the guys mentioned above for references about me and teaching, fishign and casting. It's actually one of the few things that I'm decent at.
                          http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Steve lets go chase some tail!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                              Steve lets go chase some tail!
                              I'm ready!! More fly rods, reels, lines and flies than I will be able to use in the next decade. I'm always a phone call away!!

Going to scan those articles this week and send them to you. Can you cut and paste from an email??
                              http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Working...
                              X