Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly Fishing

For those that love fly fishing, post here
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

I enjoy it just need to start doing more of it
    NK
    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

I tried it once this summer in the lights. First fish on a fly....damn hardhead! I haven't really fished with it since

Comment

I landed my largest 3 trout ever on fly...

33" 7.5LB 1 day before STAR 2005 Tournament
        31" 7.2LB 1 day before STAR 2006 Tournament
        30" 6.8LB 1 day ebfore STAR 2007 Tournament

My canal heats up the night before the tournament begins!!

That's no joke either... This year was the 1st year I didn't get a trout before the tournament started...

BeachBum & Blackbeard will back me up on those trout... I just wish I could find 1 picture besides a shot of the tail laying on 33"...

Comment

Anytime anyone wants to go target some reds on fly this coming spring let me know...I'll have the boat rigged for flats fishing by then (hopefully)

Comment

I might have to take you up on that offer. I'm pretty bad at casting so I might just be manning the pole lol. I also want to try it from my kayak, I went way back into the state park a few times this summer and found a couple of schools of reds with their backs out of the water. They wouldn't hit topwaters or spoons but I'm sure they would've ate a fly.

Comment

I'll take you up on that offer. I have a 8wt that I bought for Belize and haven't used it since. Everytime I go its always something...too windy, they're biting on tops, ect, ect, ect....I guess I just need to leave the baitcaster at home one time.

I do know how to cast some, but mostly light stuff in the 3wt range. When fishing Colorado it doesn't take much. Give me a shout when you get ready, we can take my rig also, but I better start practicing on the poling option I installed. The front deck is wide open since I removed the trolling motor. The front of the shallowsport will give you plenty of room.
              Don't be a Nancy!
              If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

I have a 5WT & 6WT I use for Colorado... I've bought an 8WT that I use in the bays and an 11WT I use off-shore the 11WT is my baby though

I bought the 8WT combo package at Bass Pro the Gold Cup IV great reel and rod I can easily cast 40-60' with good accuracy.

Its reasonably priced to and a great all around setup.

I use to go out to SLP and flyfish the guts. I would just stand in one spot and fish the current like you would a river...

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                  I have a 5WT & 6WT I use for Colorado... I've bought an 8WT that I use in the bays and an 11WT I use off-shore the 11WT is my baby though

I bought the 8WT combo package at Bass Pro the Gold Cup IV great reel and rod I can easily cast 40-60' with good accuracy.

Its reasonably priced to and a great all around setup.

I use to go out to SLP and flyfish the guts. I would just stand in one spot and fish the current like you would a river...
                  Whats your favorite fly...spoon, clouser, popper, shrimp or crab pattern?

I bought mine from Marburgers, it's a Reddington. Came with hardcase and all. Combo package and got it for a good price. I'm just not ready to step up dollar wise yet, although they tell me once I hookup and catch something big on a fly, I'll be hooked. Of course, you already know that I guess.
                  Last edited by FlatoutFishin; October 15, 2008, 12:40 PM.
                  Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

I've caught more fish that I care to count on a blue/green pattern Gummy Minnow... The trout love it under the lights at night and its motion mimics a nice wounded fingerling mullet... This time of year is so fun with the fly rod... We'll have to take an excursion out to the Jetties and bring only fly rods...

Comment

Something big? I was hooked up to a 50lb Black Drum one day in the ship channel 1 hour fight and it broke the leader as it surfaced... Luckily its air bladder was still down and she cruised right on back down... I wish I had a picture... Nothing better than having a huge fish in your hands with a fly rod in your mouth... Priceless photo!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                        I've caught more fish that I care to count on a blue/green pattern Gummy Minnow... The trout love it under the lights at night and its motion mimics a nice wounded fingerling mullet... This time of year is so fun with the fly rod... We'll have to take an excursion out to the Jetties and bring only fly rods...
                        Sounds good!
                        Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Does anybody know of a place here in Galveston that offers fly casting lessons? I have a nice set up but do not know how to use it. Thanks.

Comment

I could help out I'm no instructor but can help your break off into your own rhythm which will get you started and able to at least cast, retrieve, strip line in etc.

Comment

Don't know anywhere in Galveston, but I believe Andy Packmore up at FTU offers lessons. He's a real cool guy and very knowledgeable

Comment

Working...
                              X