Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Basics of Kayak Fishing

Howdy!

Most of y'all have convinced me to get a kayak. I have taken basic PWC and boating courses so I know about the dangers of boating and everything is applicable to kayaks (even more so because it is essentially a small boat). But there are some things that yaks can do that I may not know about. So what are the basics of kayak fishing?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Jhua; February 3, 2011, 11:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Resident Ninja

Although there are a few region specific items (fish and tackle) in this article link, much of it is applicable to here:

http://fromtheyak.com/kayak-fishing-basics/

Try to go out with someone who has been there before, to compare kayak rigging and fishing techniques. A lot of the fun is the process of learning (try and try again).
    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

I'm not exactly advanced, so take this with a grain of salt. One of my most important lessons was to take the yak out the first time without any fishing gear. Get the feel of it for a few hours before you try to fish from it. The first time I took mine out I had it loaded down with a bunch of gear. It was pretty miserable so I pulled it out and went home and thought about giving it up. Next time I went without anything and it was great! Once you're paddling it around you can get the feel for where you'll want to mount your gear.
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Always where your PFD and like they said try to go out with someone that has done it before. On the rigging part its pretty much up to you on how you want to rig it. After your first time out on the kayak you will find out what you need and what you don't need. FishingRED and I fish a lot out of our kayaks, PM me or him when you want to go out. We can show you what we know, even if its not a lot.

Comment

Know your limits, work with the wind. Couple things i have learned. Water is a very humbling experince. two major aspects other than you actual kayak is your paddle and you PFD. For any reason you loose you paddle your kayak is useless. For any reason you turtle your yak in rough surf a channel with large chop your PFD is literally your life saver. It is always best as a novice yakker to fish with someone. I have fished alone but i know my limits. If you enjoy fishing the bays use comman sense. Watch the weather see what its doing because 99% of the time it determines where you fish.. BE perpared for situations like rain, fog...and get off the water if its lightening. IF your not comfortable in you boat how can you enjoy fishing out of it. by the way perfect example me this last weekend if i didnt hug the shorline due to fog....i would have been a lost pup. Mother nature can turn quick. Just respect the water, weather and enjoy getting out there. The more your on the water the more you learn. good luck buddy

Comment

The first thing that comes to mind is: try and take the kayak to a place u know well or waded before.Fishing from yak is so awesome especially when hunting for red fish in the shallow. If u can go with some one to get out and try it out is also a good thing to do. If u need launce spots send me a PM, or if u need to go out with some folks get in touch with me. I fish alot with friends, and everytime im out in the water i learn something new. Its also good to have friends to keep u company and to confirm all those fish that u almost caught. By the way what kayak did u get? that can help us out to give u some morre info! Oh yeah if its to to windy dont get out there and paddle longs way from shoreline!!!! sometimes is faster to drag the yak back than paddling against the wind. Take a some H2O2 for cuts and scrapes. ANd have fun out there, take a camera, and take a stringer. Hope u slim it up soon. TUMTUM and I well more than gladly take u out with us

Comment

That's a lot to cover, I'm still learning stuff.

One thing that helped me a lot was learning how to use drift socks. Not always for long drifts across the open bays, sometimes I will set a drift and only do 3 or 4 casts before resetting. You cover a lot more water this way.

Pack light.

Bug repellent is needed during most of the year.

Try to be quiet. Rummaging around in a milk crate or clumsily handling an anchor makes a lot of noise on a yak. Get your stuff ready before you get to the spot, so you aren't being noisy right where you will be fishing.

Fish as much as you can.

Comment

Lots of good info here. One of the most important things to me is anchor and drift sock placement. this can turn your kayak depending on the wind and current to make fishing much easier.

also the point about taking your kayak out with nothing is good, especially before btb

Comment

Lot's of good info here. Along with the other items that have been posted, you'll need:

1. SPARE PADDLE
                  2. Rudder - you might think it's not needed, but it really, really is!
                  3. Anchor trolley - also mandatory
                  4. Practice golf balls from Academy - they work better and are cheaper than scupper plugs.

Also, the $10 windsock from Academy (for up to 16ft boats I think) works much better than windsocks made for kayaks.

Comment

LOL, "need" is subjective blurp, I don't carry any of those things, and do just fine.

Comment

I would have to agree with MJ on those suggestions, notice I said suggestions because I carry or use none of those other than the boat drift sock. I can see an anchor trolley if you don't have very many places to tie an anchor to, but my kayak has a cleat about every foot and a half going down each side so it is not an issue, I also have a spare paddle I keep in the garage, I have had trips ruined from a broken paddle, and have forgotten my paddle before, but I spent a little more money, and I feel that my current paddle cant break from normal use.

Milkjug and I fish at least once a week or more, getting ready for spring time in the surf! anyway if you want to fish with us shoot me a pm.

Comment

Originally posted by fishingRED View Post
                        The first thing that comes to mind is: try and take the kayak to a place u know well or waded before.Fishing from yak is so awesome especially when hunting for red fish in the shallow. If u can go with some one to get out and try it out is also a good thing to do. If u need launce spots send me a PM, or if u need to go out with some folks get in touch with me. I fish alot with friends, and everytime im out in the water i learn something new. Its also good to have friends to keep u company and to confirm all those fish that u almost caught. By the way what kayak did u get? that can help us out to give u some morre info! Oh yeah if its to to windy dont get out there and paddle longs way from shoreline!!!! sometimes is faster to drag the yak back than paddling against the wind. Take a some H2O2 for cuts and scrapes. ANd have fun out there, take a camera, and take a stringer. Hope u slim it up soon. TUMTUM and I well more than gladly take u out with us
                        Thanks everyone! All this info has been most helpful. I have two used Tarpon 160's. I never plan on going alone and the other one is for my father or whoever is avaliable that day. I may take up your offer to go out with someone who knows the ropes.
                        Resident Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by alex6528 View Post
                          I would have to agree with MJ on those suggestions, notice I said suggestions because I carry or use none of those other than the boat drift sock. I can see an anchor trolley if you don't have very many places to tie an anchor to, but my kayak has a cleat about every foot and a half going down each side so it is not an issue, I also have a spare paddle I keep in the garage, I have had trips ruined from a broken paddle, and have forgotten my paddle before, but I spent a little more money, and I feel that my current paddle cant break from normal use.

Milkjug and I fish at least once a week or more, getting ready for spring time in the surf! anyway if you want to fish with us shoot me a pm.

I'm sure your kayak has many "spots" to put an anchor. Mine do as well. But there are also safety reasons that make an anchor trolley more important than just having somewhere to tie the anchor. You might want to do some reading up on that.

And I'm sure your paddle is great. My paddles were around $200 each and very strong. That still doesn't help much when it's floating away from you, so it's best to have a spare.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                            LOL, "need" is subjective blurp, I don't carry any of those things, and do just fine.
                            When you lose your paddle and are floating around the bay - then it will be a LOL situation, just not for you

Comment

Originally posted by TastyBurp View Post
                              When you lose your paddle and are floating around the bay - then it will be a LOL situation, just not for you
                              Get a paddle "Keeper". They're cheap and will prevent the dreaded floating paddle.
                              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
                              X