Trolling Motor for a Boston Whaler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling Motor for a Boston Whaler

I'm thinking about mounting a trolling motor on the stern of my Boston Whaler, to help when drifting certain areas. Its a 20 year old 19ft Outrage, heavy boat, tall transom, etc. I was wondering if anyone out there has a Whaler or similar type of boat and what works for you on your boat...motorguide vs. minnkota, pounds of thrust ect.

I really only want to add 1 more battery (already have 2) or put in a switch to use my existing batteries, and I want to be able to take it on and off easily which I don't think will be a problem with a stern mount. I've talked with several people and been told that trolling motors don't work well on the front of Whalers...any first hand knowledge would be appreciated.

48V would be what I would put on there.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I was thinking about puting those trim tab/trolling motors on my 19' Raider (outrage) until I saw how expensive they are!! A really cool feature though. I would be worried about them rusting

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
        48V would be what I would put on there.
        Is that 4 batteries??? To many...I'm thinking Ive barely got room for 1 more which would make a total of 3...i didn't know they had 48V.

Comment

Get a 24 V then...

We have 2 trolling trims tabs by Lenco they stink unless you sit there (trial & error) and dial them in... I was never able to get them to both work together I would always go sideways I am sure if your able to set them up properly they are cool. The do not rust have never had an issue with one besides losing the ram on one after taking a nasty wave off shore.

Comment

A transom mount 12V 55# Minn Kota will work for your application. We use one on the bow of a 20' Sea Craft deep vee and it's plenty!
            "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

For that weight, go with the 24 volt motor guide or minn kota ..... get a 60" shaft so when your using it you can stand up and make cast......
              FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                Get a 24 V then...

We have 2 trolling trims tabs by Lenco they stink unless you sit there (trial & error) and dial them in... I was never able to get them to both work together I would always go sideways I am sure if your able to set them up properly they are cool. The do not rust have never had an issue with one besides losing the ram on one after taking a nasty wave off shore.
                I wonder if its possible to hook up the GPS command module to em to work like the single trolling motor... that would be sweet

Comment

The Problem with Whalers (not really a problem) is the only place to really mount them is on the transom. Unlike flats/bay boats, they were not really designed with using a bow mounted trolling motor in mind. I would like to see a good clean bow mount install on a whaler though.

Comment

Same problem we faced with the Robalo and why we went with trim tabs / trolling motors to be honest I drift more in the Robalo and if wading I'll pull into an area then jump out but since owning the Gator-Tail thing of a past that Robalo is a cocktail cruiser & off shore boat basically now... I really want to get a 29' off shore

Comment

How far would you safely go on a 29'?? I know people take extra gas with em, go further out on calm days etc, but what would be the maximum distance you would go before starting to feel nervous? all variables constant (no storm approaching, sustained seas, sustained wind, no rain blah blah blah.)

Comment

Originally posted by sfef84 View Post
                        How far would you safely go on a 29'?? I know people take extra gas with em, go further out on calm days etc, but what would be the maximum distance you would go before starting to feel nervous? all variables constant (no storm approaching, sustained seas, sustained wind, no rain blah blah blah.)
                        29' World Cat I'd take her to Flower Gardens ~ 110 MI from Galveston & spend the night and not have any worries. On any overnight trip I would carry extra gas in a fuel bladder... 40-50 GA just to be safe run on the bladder on the way out then switch once she was done. I have taken the Robalo out 65 MI off the Jetty... Round trip was 190 MI. I had about 20GA left in the 110 GA tank but I was nervous going back in lol

Comment

What year/length is the Robalo?

You can find some sweet deals on Robalo's. About a year ago, I was gassing up in my 1979 23' Robalo Cuddy (sold a while ago) at Harborwalk and a guy was selling a 23'-26'ft center console Robalo with twin 110-150's for 11K... in perfect condition.

I only have the pockets and space for one boat so I got the outrage, shallow enough draft and heavy enough to not get slapped around the bay and can make it offshore a little. You have the perfect setup though with the gator-tail and bigger Robalo... Cover all bases.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                            A transom mount 12V 55# Minn Kota will work for your application. We use one on the bow of a 20' Sea Craft deep vee and it's plenty!
                            Thanks Kenny. That's what I would like to do...just not sure if it is enough motor, it would save me a lot of $$ for sure. I love my Whaler but it is a heavy bast***! I really wouldn't be using it to get around as much as I would to hold my drift line. How much does your Sea Craft weigh?

Comment

Working...
                            X