Yak Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yak Question

I am really itching to go out with my yak but I can't until the spring. But in the mean time I do have a few questions. I am a reasonably fit person. How far should I be able to go (after I gain experience and learn the waters). Also, could you potentially make a run to an offshore oil rig? I saw one on Google maps around 3 miles out. Thanks again! I hope to see some of yall soon on the water!
    Resident Ninja

whats stopping you from going now? if you are new to yakking, the usual advise is to go out a time or 2 without fishing gear. that way you can learn your yak, without loosing any gear in case something happens(turtle). After you get used to your yak, start out with short trips, and build up from there. There is no telling how far you "should" be able to go, that all depends on the type of kayak, winds, etc. When I first got into my kayak, i paddled into the wind on the way out, and let it push me back to the truck.
    AS far as going offshore, plenty of people do it all the time. But, nobody usually recommends going out there alone, or without any Beyond the Breaker (BTB) experience. if you are new to kayaking, take a look at texaskayakfisherman.com. there is a ton of useful information on that site, that is kayak specific. good luck!
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and you teach him to get drunk and smoke cigars and lie about the fish he caught!

Comment

If I was gonna try for a longer trip, I think I'd paddle parallel to the island and see how far I get. Backlash gave good advice about paddling into the wind on the way out. You've got a really good kayak as I remember. You can probably put some good miles on it. Hook up with somebody to go BTB, but after you learn your limitations.
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I wholly agree with this and I never plan on going alone. That is why I got two kayaks so I can take my dad, cousin or any guest. I've already paddled around a retention pond near my home twice (and caught a 4 pound bass in the process) using my friend's truck. The Tarpon 16 is fast! I'm just waiting for a specific part that is required to mount my kayaks on my SUV. I probably won't go BTB for a while but I may paddle parallel to the island and see how far I can go. Should make it an upper body workout regiment as an excuse to use it every weekend :P Thanks for the advice!
        Resident Ninja

Comment

your located in houston ...you have water nearly all the way around you...hit conroe, lake woodlands if on the north side, south side should be obvious...there isnt much difference. If your thinking BTB. There is a alot of guys that like that rig run thing. I dont recommend it first time out. But its what you are comfortable with. Whats great about fishing is there is plenty of places to go. Heck, i think thats my hardest decision... How about this? You pick a weekend when you can actually go. And i am sure someone here will meet up with you and just tag along.

note: dont paddle circles around a guy fishing..lol

Comment

If you ever want a guest in your spare kayak, let me know. I don't own a decent one so I'd be happy to paddle one of yours. Sadly enough I'm still a greenhorn, but I live down here and I'm game! (Oops, I forgot to mention that I'm old and fat too!)
            I would kill to paddle around a decent yak. PM me if you ever need an old guy to drag around!

Comment

reelshallow: I will definately keep that in mind. Offshore is still way out of my league and I plan to stick to the bays for a while. I would like eventually go and do it though.

Curmudgeon: It's not older; just wiser. How about this summer? I won't be taking any summer courses and will be spending 3/4th of my summer in Galveston (I hope). I'll let you know!
              Resident Ninja

Comment

well like i said pick a weekend. i may make down there this weekend...i have another guy that wants to go..but depends if i can break off

Comment

Jhua,
                  I hate to tell you, but I'm old and unwise!!
                  I just started fishing last summer. I've been lucky/ blessed to have a bunch of great mentors that have shown me how to catch a few fish. Anytime you want to paddle around the island, just let me know. I can usually squeeze in one day per weekend. I don't know much but I'm happy to share! I'm having a blast learning!

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
                    Jhua,
                    I hate to tell you, but I'm old and unwise!!
                    I just started fishing last summer. I've been lucky/ blessed to have a bunch of great mentors that have shown me how to catch a few fish. Anytime you want to paddle around the island, just let me know. I can usually squeeze in one day per weekend. I don't know much but I'm happy to share! I'm having a blast learning!
                    whats funny is that i'm not new to fishing and i STILL suck =(

BUT thats why i study everything on this site, theres a whole bunch of info here to help =D

-Marco

Comment

Yeah, go for it. There are some "short rigs" out there, the one off of Surfside beach comes to mind. Just bring a buddy, and don't do anything dumb like go right before a front.

Comment

my first time I launched in Dickinson Bayou and drifted all the way inland to where the bayou ends. Forgot about how ahrd it would would be to paddle a wide kayak back.
                        Last edited by TastyBurp; February 16, 2011, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X