Spoon Flies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoon Flies

I've been playing around with CCG and CFS pre-cut spoon fly templates lately. In the past I had trouble cutting a spoon shaped pattern or had trouble with the epoxy drying unevenly. Spoon flies are a piece of cake to tie now.

Additional flies and full-size pictures here...
    http://castingtales.wordpress.com/20...man-can-do-it/

Very nice.
    Resident Ninja

Comment

Those make me wish I knew how to use a fly rod. Catching fish on those will be a very rewarding feeling for sure.
      Live every week like its shark week

Comment

Great looking! That shrimp and frog spoon are really nice
        At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Looks awesome,wish I had time to learn how to make some like that.
          Today is a new day!!

Comment

That shrimp in the second photo looks like a killer!
            I know the weather hasn't cooperated much lately (which is why you're tying instead of flying) but have you been able to evaluate your flies? I wonder if what looks good to us looks good to the fish?
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by Dawg View Post
              Looks awesome,wish I had time to learn how to make some like that.
              You should give it a try. It's really not that hard. I haven't been tying for very long at all. I have only been seriously tying for maybe 4 or 5 months.
              Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
              That shrimp in the second photo looks like a killer!
              I know the weather hasn't cooperated much lately (which is why you're tying instead of flying) but have you been able to evaluate your flies? I wonder if what looks good to us looks good to the fish?
              Thanks. I have been fishing a lot lately just not with the fly rod, so I haven't done much on the water testing other than in the tub or sink. May go to the local pool for further inspection though. I lost my whole fly box last fall so right now I'm just stock piling flies for spring.

Comment

Those are very nice flies.

Biggie
                It's Never Too Early To Panic

Comment

Here's a couple more flies I tied up last week...

Comment

Very cool! Especially the holo shrimp in the first 2 pics.
                    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

JEREMY,
                      Those look very good.I have been using Gamakatsu Stinger hook # B10S.They have the perfect curve for spoons.I get the spoon tabs from Scott down at Kingfisher in the valley.I use a product called Aleene's fabric fusion to coat them .It dries clear,does not yellow,and it is water clean up.

Skiffstiff

Comment

Nice work!!!....real nice!!!.... can you or have you tied any poppers???
                        Popper in the morning Popper in the evening

Comment

Originally posted by Pop Fly View Post
                          Nice work!!!....real nice!!!.... can you or have you tied any poppers???
                          Thanks. No, I haven't tied any poppers but they're not very hard to tie. I might pick up some foam bodies this week and play around with them.

Comment

What material is the spoon body?

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
                              What material is the spoon body?
                              I use pre-cut spoon bodies from CFS...http://creativefeathers.com/details.cfm?id=357. I have also tried using holographic tape in the past but it was a pain trying to cut them to the right shape. Much easier with the precut templates.

Comment

Working...
                              X