Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/6 & 3/8

better late than never...

Water warmed up nicely over the weekend. Almost didn't even need the waders. The trout bite has been difficult for me lately. I am sure there plenty of trout being caught by drifters over at Meecom's or Confederate but I prefer to catch my wading.

Friday, I was alone and hit up a bunch of coves on the South shoreline with limited succes in the morning. Checked out the Green's Lake and got skunked. Back over to the south and found a nice redfish bite in some ultra skinny water.

Sunday, my dad and I stayed south, launching from Pirate's. We made long, slightly productive wade over a mostly sandy bottom with some scarce pockets of mud and shell. Then back to the shallow flats to catch more reds.

Both days i ended up with 10 reds but hardly any size to speak of. I found that presentation is more important color or lure right now for. I enjoy throwing corky's and tops but ALL my fish on coming on a very fast, jerky retrieve with soft plastics (especially the Gulp! 5" jerk shad).

Good luck out there,

Ryan

Good report Ryan, those Jerk Shads have been the Spring time ticket!
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Thanks for the report, we caught a few of our reds the other day in some fairly shallow water as well.
      "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Good job, thanks. No reds for us unfortunately. How deep were they?

M.M.
        "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Nice report Ryan. Nothing like catching reds in skinny water.
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Nice report.Congrats
            NK
            Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

MM:

We found our reds the other day in water knee deep or less. Almost all were too small to string though.
              "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

all of my fish were in 2 feet of water or less. I found them usually within close approximity to geotubes waiting to crash bait as it came over the top or through the guts.

the water clarity was usually in between clear and off-color. i was trying to sight cast to them but he one i found like that were sitting in the sandy-clear water so i didn't get a cast to them till they were too close.

do you think once the grass gets a little taller it will filter out the sand/ debris and make it a little cleaner to see the reds, or is this just wishful thinking?

ready to catch some units on the long rod,

ryan

Comment

We were catching some fish right next to geotubes as well. Some of the reds were actually spitting up a bunch of really small minnows...i'm not sure what kind of bait fish they were exactly. These bait fish were only about 1-1 1/2" in length.

I'm not sure about the grass thing...i think the clarity of the water has more to do with the wind direction/speed and tidal flow more than anything else.

Comment

Ryan, you need to go target upper greens lake, karankawa lake area I think you'll find the layout and conditions perfect for fly fishing.
                    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
                    X