Fly fishing tourneys???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly fishing tourneys???

does anyone know of a fly-fishing tourney in galveston?

maybe there are not enough of us, but i think it would be a cool way to meet some other fellow junkies.

loveless

I'd be down for hosting one however we don't have a huge following on the website yet, but West Bay hasn't had too many fly fisherman either. I ran into two guys at the launch at Pirates that worked greens on fly rod. Its a whole different world than tossing a bait and retrieving it...
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

there are more than you think, especially out of kayaks or the lights! i started about 12 months ago and now consider myself a junkie. Ike trashed my dad's boat so i picked up a guide's boat a few months ago. It's a 17' Mitzi. These boats work GREAT for galveston whether poling the flats, drifting or hopping out to wade. They don't have the best hole shot and are a bit wet crossing the open bay. But I love mine. I have seen a few beavertails out there towards sea isle, and on sunday, we saw a couple of dudes drifting in a sweet skiff from Gordon. I think it had a 40 Tohatsu (tiller drive)

Anyways, i think the trend is growing, which is great b/c it a spawns better breed of fisherman.

ryan

Comment

Gator-Tail not Beaver :-)

Ryan, lets target some fish this weekend...

Look for me or call me (I'll PM my cell)

We hit up the lights and I use my fly rod all the time... My 3 largest trout ever have all been on Fly.

I launch from Pirates, KOA (SLP) & more than likely be launching at Harborwalk or GYB late Saturday or Sunday... When we target some big black drums! I might have to bring the 11WT out there, try to catch that 50" 40lb + on fly
        Attached Files

Comment

One of those Beavertails was mine.I prefer sightcasting with the fly as my first choice of fishing methods.I will resort to conventional levelwind(topwater) & spinning(spoons & jigs) when conditions do not allow for flyfishing.I prefer the hunt for the fish more than the fight.A fly tourney for west bay would be fun.

SKIFFSTIFF

Comment

Originally posted by SKIFFSTIFF View Post
            One of those Beavertails was mine.I prefer sightcasting with the fly as my first choice of fishing methods.I will resort to conventional levelwind(topwater) & spinning(spoons & jigs) when conditions do not allow for flyfishing.I prefer the hunt for the fish more than the fight.A fly tourney for west bay would be fun.

SKIFFSTIFF

Skiff- we'll have to get together and go exploring!!

Comment

great. we've got beavers & gators on this site. someone call the exterminator!!!!!!

Comment

Ya...it's not the good kind of beaver either
                "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

I've gotten into a little fly fishing but I'm still a real hack, no where close to fishing a tourney or anything. Heck I've got a new reel that I've not even put line on yet. I wouldn't mind getting together for a trip with some folks to learn more about the art of fly fishing.
                  Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

BH, you caught fish off the dock with your fly rod. More than I ever did with mine.
                    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

This true, but I'm still a hack.....
                      Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

you guys snuck another old post under my nose...... There are two fairly big fly fishing clubs in the Houston area, along with several dealers. I bet with some help we could make an annual FWE Fly Tournament.

Let me know when you are ready to get started, and I will pull out the contact list. Been talking to Texas Fly Fishers, today. Will be in touch with Montgomerty County Fly Fishers soon. Still have some contact with most of the community and retail stores. I'm in for any organizational help you need!
                        http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Working...
                        X