Glock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glock

I know this isn't hunting but I thought this would be the most appropriate place to post this. I'm finally turning 21 and plan on getting a handgun in the next few weeks. I've narrowed it down to a Glock 23 or the 26. Anyone have any opinions on these guns? I've looked at a few other guns (springfield xd40, and a few walthers) but the 23 just feels the best in my hand.

Get one you feel comfortable with.Do you have or are you getting your CHL too?
    NK
    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Come shoot my XD40 next time your in town I love it!!!
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Unclehandy has a few glocks as well

Comment

Originally posted by TTU Wader View Post
          but the 23 just feels the best in my hand.
          You said it right there. It took me a year to decide between the XD and a Glock, I ended up going with the XD. THe most important thing is how it feels IN YOUR HAND. You will be the one shooting it. Both the Glocks and XDs are outstanding pistols with great reputations you wont be disapointed in either one. Most gun ranges have rental guns in the most common models and calibers. Go to one and rent the guns ( its only like 10 bucks) and shoot them and see.

Another thing you may look into is what the weapon will be used for. If it is for home defense, recreation and to carry with you in your vehicle, the 23 is an excellent choice. If you are looking for more of a carry piece, in our climate (hot) that choice is a little harder to find clothes that make it concealable. I usually wear shorts and t shirts and the 23 and similar can be tough to conceal without a good holster but a smaller model can be carried in a pocket.

Another very popluar safe action style pistol is the Smith and Wesson M&P. It come with 3 different sized backstrap inserts for the grip that make it a little more custom fitted.

Best option is to go to a gun store and/or range and hold and fire the weapons you are interested in and ask questions to the salesman. Good luck, well go to the range sometime once you get your piece. If you arent already a member, I recommend joining the NRA and help defend our second amendment rights and obtaining your concelaed handgun license. Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have, I am little bit of a gun nut. Good luck and good shooting.

M.M.
          "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Nokatchin- I don't have a one but might get one in the next year or so.

Coe & Matt- Thanks for the info. Maybe we can all go to the range sometime when I get it.

Comment

I'm going to check out that Smith and Wesson M&P also. They got an awesome gun store here in LBK

Comment

I have a Glock 26 as my handgun. I wanted something compact to carry around because I've already got the shotgun at home

I like the feel of it a lot, and it shoots well. The gf got me a .22 conversion kit for my birthday that should be arriving soon. That should be nice because I'll be able to shoot it all the time for alot less than if I was shooting 9mm. Even though it is a small handgun I think I'm going to get something smaller to carry in the summertime. Mabey a Kel-tek .380 or equivalent.

Oh yeah, if you want to try the 26 out some time let me know.
                Last edited by Milkjug; March 10, 2009, 11:23 AM.

Comment

You're getting good advice here for sure. I do love the .40 round. It's the perfect compromise between the anemic 9mm and the .45. All that said, I carry a .380. Practice.
                  From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Milkjug-

Does having your pinky under the clip annoy you? This is the only thing holding me back from buying it. I might have to take you up on your offer.

I was also thinking about getting a smaller gun eventually in .380 to carry around. Has anyone had experience with the Walther ppk? I held a couple .380's and I liked this one allot, just kinda worried about the reliability issues.

Comment

I have a Bersa .380.Affordable and so far no problems with it.Nice grip on it too
                      NK
                      Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by TTU Wader View Post
                        I know this isn't hunting but I thought this would be the most appropriate place to post this. I'm finally turning 21 and plan on getting a handgun in the next few weeks. I've narrowed it down to a Glock 23 or the 26. Anyone have any opinions on these guns? I've looked at a few other guns (springfield xd40, and a few walthers) but the 23 just feels the best in my hand.
                        I have a few pieces, but one of my favs is the Glock 19. It is the only handgun with the ability to hold a 33rd magazine! It always turns heads at the range.

Comment

Originally posted by Unclehandy View Post
                          I have a few pieces, but one of my favs is the Glock 19. It is the only handgun with the ability to hold a 33rd magazine! It always turns heads at the range.
                          One Shot, One Kill!! I turn more heads with a quarter sized hole from of 7 rounds of .45 ACP in my 1911! Just kidding, to each his own, but seriously, who needs 33 rounds in a handgun? That magazine is so long it would get caught on everything, and HEAVY!
                          "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

MM... dang son! Lets go to the range I need a good instructor!

Comment

Glocks are fine weapons. Rugged, reliable, super easy to field strip/clean.
                              In a pure utilitarian sense they are just about the ideal piece.
                              There is a decent selection of after market accessories for them(triggers, sights, mags, etc).
                              Excellent choice.

Note about Glocks:
                              Be aware Glocks have a unique style of Polygonal barrel rifling. This rifling causes excessive barrel leading if cast lead ammunition is fired. Extensive shooting of lead bullets can actually cause bore constriction. Then when a full power jacketed bullet(especiall a high pressure round like the .40SW) is fired the gun experiences extreme high pressures and can literally blow apart in your hands. Its known as the infamous Glock Ka-Boom.
                              Don't be freaked out.
                              If you elect to use lead bullets in your Glock be very careful to clean the barrel completely before using jacketed ammo. Or just exclusively use jacketed ammo and forget about it.

There are two types of Glock users. Glock owners and Glockheads

Glock owner - typical cool guy. Takes good care of his Glock.

Glockhead(rhymes with blockhead) - slob who never cleans his weapon. Shoots absolutely the worst cheap crapammo he can find. Experiences Ka-Boom. Blames the gun.
                              West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Working...
                              X