First Kayak Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Kayak Trip

I went kayak fishing for the first time today! I am hooked for life. My dad and I got out and launched near Bayou Vista and fished the grass. I found a patch of grass that seemed promising as there were a few mullet jumping and it was slightly protected from the wind. After my second cast I got a thump and my drag started screaming! After 10 minutes I saw that it was a big red. The red made another blistering run away from my yak. It headed straight towards a wooden navigation pole....then nothing. I guess there were some oysters or something on the pole and it cut my line. The rest of the day was kinda dull. My dad almost flipped over and I had a few chuckles about that. But it was awesome being on the water. Everything looks so much larger from my vantage point. We were driven out of the water by 12. It was a lot more fun going back in because our backs were to the wind. I forgot my umbrella and really wnated to try sailing back in. :P I am looking forward to another outing!
    Resident Ninja

Awesome!! Great report... I caught my 1st trout out of a yak yesterday, it's now my avatar...lol
    I can't believe I waited so long to get a yak...WTG Jhua!!

Comment

Sounds like an great first outing!!! i recently had mine in my new yak but didnt do much fishing...

Great job dude, let me know when youre heading back out, i'm ecstatic to join someone with some fishing experience to learn a thing or two =) and also just the fellowship is awesome!!!

-Marco

Comment

Great time sounds like

Comment

Pretty cool! Sounds like you guys had a blast!
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Woo Hoo ! Fun Fun Fun!! Congrats!
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Hey jhua what did you hook the red on and did you have leader?Good job on breaking that cherry.
              I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Ahaha. Yes I did! I think it got cut right after the leader on my main line. I was using live shrimp.
                Resident Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Jhua View Post
                  Ahaha. Yes I did! I think it got cut right after the leader on my main line. I was using live shrimp.
                  I think you found them black drum!

Comment

WTG Jhua!!!!

Man, your heart to be pumping with all that line being stripped.

Comment

Boy it was! I have 10lb test as well to add to the fun. Gotta love light tackle.
                      Resident Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Jhua View Post
                        Boy it was! I have 10lb test as well to add to the fun. Gotta love light tackle.
                        IMO you ought to have 12 to 14 on reel and 20 to 25lb leader.If you were just targeting specks fine but your in that drum tourney.

Comment

I usually use a 10 lb main line and a 20 lb leader. I am about to re-spool two of my rods for the drum with 15 lb main lines and a 30 lb leader. But I still love light tackle!
                          Resident Ninja

Comment

Working...
                          X