Choosing a Fly Rod and Reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a Fly Rod and Reel

How do you go about choosing a good combo and basically get started fly fishing. I realize one could go to the store and pick one, but what do you look for to use in a saltwater environment for redfish? I've used a fly rod in a stock tank and caught small perch, but I have never used one for trout and reds.

Thanks

Pm Shallowist

Comment

First thing is to set a dollar amount you are comfortable with.You want most of that money to go into the rod.Next would be the line and last would be the reel.I think the best value for the money is the Temple Fork Rods.Lines would include any weight forward floating with a redfish taper.I like Flip Pallot's version.I would start with a 8 wt. rod,then later on you can go down to a 6 or 7 wt. as you become a better caster.The reel should be salt water resistant with either a clicker or disk drag.

SKIFFSTIFF

Comment

X2 on the TFO rods. Nothing in their catalog over 300 right now. 8 weight is appropriate for this coast and a matching 8 weight line. Look at the above mentioned line or Scientific Anglers or Orvis redfish taper. TFO makes some inexpensive reels, and Orvis just released a new reel that is about 150 with a sealed disk drag. Some great bargains available these days that are absolutely top notch gear.

If you are just getting started, look at TFO's BVK(top of their line up) and Professional series. Both will tend to be more forgiving of casting faults than some of their faster tapered rods.
        http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Working...
        X