Rewired the Trailer "Tom style"....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewired the Trailer "Tom style"....

I had to rewire the trailer for our trip in the morning. I usually use shrink connectors with shrink tubing over that. It takes for ever and lasts maybe a year or two, if I'm lucky.
    This time I use the "Tom" method. It is super easy. You just twist the wires together at each connection, put on wire nuts and shove into silicone in a short piece of 3/4" PVC with duct tape on the end......DONE!
    Attached Files
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Wow! High tech!
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Damn man, you're an official phoneman now Ken. That little baby is known as a Pee-Wee! It's the same, only different....

Comment

thats freakin genius!! LOL
        Captain Glenn Stevens
        Coastal Guide Service
        www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

I gave up trying to seal the connections and that was the best thing I ever did. Now I use Instant Tap quick splice connectors, and have had only one connection fail in about 4 years.

I think leaving it open to dry must help somehow.
          Scott
          "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Originally posted by gsb View Post
            I gave up trying to seal the connections and that was the best thing I ever did. Now I use Instant Tap quick splice connectors, and have had only one connection fail in about 4 years.

I think leaving it open to dry must help somehow.
            Where I live, and dunking the trailer as much as I do, it wouldn't last a year!
            "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

I re-wired mine about a year ago and I used that paint on electrical tape to seal the connections -- so far so good.
              Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Shoot Kenny, my lights and trailer springs last about the same 2-3 years, so come on by and we'll do my axles and springs and lights!!

It's like painting a picket fence-sure is fun, Huckleberry!
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I just replaced my wheel bearings on the trailer... The lights I replace every 5 months (cheapo's) from Academy but they last just as long as the LED's. Not time to re-wire yet but getting there...

Springs will be replaced later this summer the pack is not coming undone just yet.
                  We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I only dunk mine once a week. Next time a connection fails on you, try one.
                    Last edited by gsb; March 16, 2011, 11:58 AM. Reason: add note
                    Scott
                    "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Originally posted by gsb View Post
                      I only dunk mine once a week. Next time a connection fails on you, try one.
                      Oh, I've tried 'em.
                      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

LED pole lights and no connections till you hit the front part of the trailer that never is suposed to go under. Lights were a bit more but well worth it.
                        Don't be a Nancy!
                        If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Originally posted by FlatoutFishin View Post
                          LED pole lights and no connections till you hit the front part of the trailer that never is suposed to go under. Lights were a bit more but well worth it.
                          Two problems with pole lights......I can't tie off the bow line, then launch and pull my trailer out without getting out of the truck and getting the bow line over the pole, and TexDot requires amber clearance lights on the fenders and a red light bar( 3-4 lights) between the tail lights.
                          "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Great looking set up!! I got to thinking and there is an exopxy that could be used in that set up that would be evedn more water tight .probably overkill though. Ill lookem it up and post. As far as the shrink sleeve the store boughts are not really the best you can buy. They do make some that are for subsea use that I have installed in 3000' of water. I'll look those up too and post. The electrial goo you brush on with a shrink sleeve are pretty good too if you combine them with a soldering of the conductors together. Oh wait my trailer lights only work half the time never mind. Great info Kenny on DOT requirement I am missing the three lights in the middle. I dont need no trooper pulling me over. Good stuff!!
                            Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

The light bar in the middle between the tail lights is required only on wide-azz trailers.
                              "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Working...
                              X