Post your favorite beach tips!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post your favorite beach tips!

Since the surf should be turning on relatively soon, I thought it would be cool to post some tips/techniques/gear that works for everyone. Any spots/bait that you can't live without? Particular leader rigs that work really good? The ants in my pants are getting the best of me!

Yarrrggghhh

Earliest productive trip i've ever had in the surf was the first week of May. Normally it's a lot later than that, although it seems every year that the surf will get right for one/two days at the end of April and a select few will get them good. There's a place further north of Galvez that is a known producer for big girls in the surf in March, April, May...and it has the history to back it up. I'm sure those reading this, that are in the know, know exactly of the place i'm talking about. Happens every year...know why? Na, i can't say, that would be too easy for the wannabe's to guess.

My tip: If you're not walking into the surf with a white/yellow bait bucket full of dead shrimp, cut mullet, and mud minnows then you're missing the boat. I also suggest using at the minimum 4 oz lead weights to combat the heavy currents commonly found along our beachfront. Don't buy into the circle hook movement either, stick with what your old man taught you, use those big ol' gaudy treble hooks.
    "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Get out there early, I catch some nice fish before first light using topwaters. I have had some great trips during the afternoon too, but I generally do better very early.

It doesn't have to be perfectly clear or flat as glass to do well.

Try to hit it the first day or two that it flattens. Often it seems that the action slows after a few calm days.

The spanish mackerel get really thick in the surf for a few days early in the Spring and sometimes again late in the Fall. They will be wall-to-wall and you will see them jumping and slashing bait on the surface. Get to the coast ASAP and bring plenty of silver spoons w/ wire leaders.

Comment

I've generally done well for reds and specks on days when the water clarity is good but the surf is somewhat rough. Wade out about 15 yds with live shrimp and keep your line taut. Can't wait for the surf to turn on!
        Resident Ninja

Comment

look for mullet and smooth surf!! throw tops
          MANVEL MOB

Comment

Tops!
            Tops!
            Tops!
            Tops!
            Tops!
            Tops!
            Tops!
            Tops!
            Early am.....I am usually out there at least an hour before first light.
            sigpic
            Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

I agree with Hammer!

Tops!
              Tops!
              Tops!
              Tops!
              Tops!
              Tops!
              Tops!
              Tops!
              Early am.....I am usually out there at least an hour before first light
              Whatever it is,good or bad, God knows! Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

I have a secret fishing technique designed to lure those sneaky pompano in
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                  you should show me. i won't tell anyone!

Comment

Depends on what im fishing for and what the conditions are. If im fishing for trout im in the water at sunrise, if its flat and green or clear im throwing tops, if its not im throwing plastics to match whatever color the water is. I do alotta shark fishing as well, so normally ill spend time early in the morning catching fresh bait. Mullet in a cast net, ladyfish with a spoon, sand trout, whiting, stingrays and croaker with fresh dead shrimp, and once I have enough fresh bait, ill yak a few baits out and fish the first gut while im waiting. 4oz of weight in heavy current is way to light. I wouldnt suggest anything under 6oz, plus in extremely heavy currents or if im fishing a big bait, ill either use 8oz or a small sand bag. I ALWAYS use circle hooks. I practice catch and release and circle hooks help alot with mortality rates. Ive noticed I gut hooked alot less fish using a circle vs a treble or a straight shank. Only treble hooks in my box are attached to hard baits and corkys.

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaGump View Post
                      Since the surf should be turning on relatively soon, I thought it would be cool to post some tips/techniques/gear that works for everyone. Any spots/bait that you can't live without? Particular leader rigs that work really good? The ants in my pants are getting the best of me!

Yarrrggghhh
                      Try just north of murdoch bath house. early morning. throw tops if no bite and smooth throw a schrimp under a popping cork. Good luck!! You can over come lack of fishing knowledge and skill by just fishing more. What I mean by saying that is even if you are not catching fish you can see where all the old farts are fishing. And if you are smooth you may be able to pry some info out of them. Then again alot of cool people fishing will share info to people that have made their way down to fish!!
                      We are never gonna catch em all!!! Good Luck
                      Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

You got me curious!!
                        Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post

Comment

GO FISH!!!
                          the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Working...
                          X