Flounder Season...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flounder Season...

Galveston daily news reported that keeping flounder during the month of November will be outlawed.

http://galvestondailynews.com/story....25e83d007b2862
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Closing the month to commercial harvests and to those who use gigs to take flounder would do more good than denying the hook-and-line angler a chance to take advantage of the annual fall flounder run
    It seems to me that he's playing favorites with the hook and liner's. I still think that the masses of waders and boats at SWP, the GSC, and the ferry landings, all day long, fishing all depths in all wind conditions and water clarities, take more fish than the giggers do.

I'm at least glad that they are being fair and closing it to everyone, although I think the reduced bag alone would be sufficient.

Fishing the bottom with dead shrimp, he managed 23 gafftop and hardheads, along with four sand trout.
    Man, slow week for the fishing reports huh?

Comment

I read in the latest GCC that they are thinking of doing away with all commercial fishing during the months of October, November, and December. They are also proposing that the flounder bag be cut in half for both the recreational angler and the commercial fisherman. That would mean that the recreational people could keep 5 and the commercial guys could have 30 a day. The minimum length limit will stay the same at 14".

I say good for them and good for the flounder. I'm all for it, and i support their proposal 100%. I wouldn't care if they shut down the flounder fishing totally during those three months either. The only thing we should be concerned about as sportsman and conservationists is keeping the flounder population at a healthy level. And as well all know right now...it is not there.
      "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

That just means the flat fish price will now be up there with Snapper!

Comment

Originally posted by GHSmacker View Post
          I read in the latest GCC that they are thinking of doing away with all commercial fishing during the months of October, November, and December. They are also proposing that the flounder bag be cut in half for both the recreational angler and the commercial fisherman. That would mean that the recreational people could keep 5 and the commercial guys could have 30 a day. The minimum length limit will stay the same at 14".

I say good for them and good for the flounder. I'm all for it, and i support their proposal 100%. I wouldn't care if they shut down the flounder fishing totally during those three months either. The only thing we should be concerned about as sportsman and conservationists is keeping the flounder population at a healthy level. And as well all know right now...it is not there.
          I'm gonna have to disagree. I've caught more flounder this year than I ever have.
          I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

+1 007, I have done better on flounder than I have in a few years, seems like everytime I go out I catch at least 1 keeper sized flat fish. I have yet to catch an udnersized flounder since last summer.
            "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

How can you disagree after looking at the information given and all of the data collected by CCA and TPWD?

So you're catching more flounder...what does that mean? We are talking about the overal population across the entire Texas coast. I catch more flounder now then i have in the past few years, but if more needs to be done to support the population and enable them to increase them i'm all for it.

I'm catching more undersized flounder right now then i have in years. It seems that certain coves in West are loaded up with them...those flounder from 10"-14".
              "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Originally posted by GHSmacker View Post
                How can you disagree after looking at the information given and all of the data collected by CCA and TPWD?

So you're catching more flounder...what does that mean? We are talking about the overal population across the entire Texas coast. I catch more flounder now then i have in the past few years, but if more needs to be done to support the population and enable them to increase them i'm all for it.

I'm catching more undersized flounder right now then i have in years. It seems that certain coves in West are loaded up with them...those flounder from 10"-14".
                These are the sizes that the Sea Center needs! If your not on the Flounder Revolution E-mail list please get on it!

We've done a lot for the Flounder here in West Bay and to see them making a comeback and to see them being caught once again is great! However we need to continue our efforts. That is why all money from the Silent Auction and a percentage from the Tournament Entry Fees will go to the Sea Center in Lake Jackson specifically for Flounder Restocking & Hatching efforts.

If your interested this weekend in Chocolate Bayou at Lutes Marine Chester Moore will be there to talk with anyone about them. He's a great guy and as much worried about the Flounder situation as any of us!

(DON'T MENTION GIGGING AROUND HIM )

Comment

Hey WEA...do you have a link for that email list that you're talking about? That's the first i've ever heard of it. What's it all about? I'm willing to do anything i can to help out our flounder population.

I hope to make it to that event this weekend, because i'd like to hear him talk about our current flounder problems. I've read his book several times, and i've seen the video with him and Skip. I consider him one of the leaders on flounder populations for the Texas coast.

Comment

Click on the Chocolate Bay / Bayou Forum it would have been posted by MuddSkipper

Comment

Working...
                    X