Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on boat purchase

Hi all,

I think I have found a deal but was wanting to hear some input from people who would know. The boat is a 18' Gulf Coast with a 115 Evinrude, 2005 with about 50 hours on it. It has a battery charger, sea anchor and a couple of rods, of course the trailer also. This person that owns the boat bought it to fish and found out he could catch the fish in the canal so he didn't use it much. I went with him on the first trip he was still breaking in the engine. I will be going to POC to give it a test run in a couple of weeks, so I would need to know what to look for to determine if it is worth the price.

My questions:

1) What do I look for to keep from having to spend more money on repairs?
    2) What would be a decent price?
    3) Where would you go to get financing?
    4) Do I really want to do this?

Thanks for your input!

For price go to NADA Boat prices-just like cars. Was it in Ike? has it sunk? Look for stress cracks on transom, check the thing out-open all hatches, look at electrical connects for corrosion, have mechanic compression check engine, look for rust on motor block, check lower unit oil, - have a real mechanic do a full inspection-yep, it'll cost, but may save you big bucks. Financing-ya got a credit union/bank/decent FICO scores, lotta money to put down? I believe that is the "Old" rude (OMC), not the "New" rude by BRP, so that is a consideration. Is it the highside GC? Any aircell issues (they aint foam flotation-they are air pockets/cells-if any leak, you're farged). Transom-does it "flex" when motor is trimmed up and ya push on lower unit with all your weight? If so, bad transom likely.

big question-can you afford it-think insurance, storage, trailering (bearings/hubs/axles/tires/lights), and $500-1000/year in maintenance-plugs, bearings, tires, oil, seals, water pump. Boat ownership aint cheap. Also, what about electronics like gps, depthfinder/stereo, lights, gauges.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

It may have been in Ike, I don't think it was sunk but that is a question I will ask. He is in Tamara? the one with the setting sun on the sign out front. I did a quick look up on NADA - without the motor it is about 2K less than he is asking.

No electronics, it doesn't have any bells and whistles.
      I can build a garage to put it in, I already have the land and I was planning on doing this anyway.
      I have some money to put down on it so I can get the payments down. After I take it for a spin in POC I will get the mechanic to give it a go over and see what's shaking.
      LOL I thought the maintenance would be higher for some reason!
      Thanks a lot for your input Robalo, I will check all these things out, I appreciate the time and effort.

Comment

Boats are like ladies-the first one you see and want aint always the best for you-some are costly as you spend time with her-just ask JT!!!! Or me!!!

Terramar Subdivision-yes, it had 7-8' of water from Ike-I never saw my little bay boat again after Ike swept down past Pirates and I'm in Jamaica Beach-left her on the trailer in driveway-trailer was 3 houses down, but boat was adios-The City musta found it because in April 2009, they sent me a letter saying pay the haul and storage charges-weren't mine after Ike-was USAA Insurances!!

Why Port O when he has place in Terramar?
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I want to make sure the trailer is in good working order? HA actually one of the guys I fish with when I get an invite has a place there, I built a deck and put in some trailer skirting in for future fishing trips in payment. Worked real good till I was laid off and now I have to call and "remind" him about the deal.

Comment

How much does he want for it? Or what is your price range for a good boat?
            Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

He will take 14k for it. I would rather pay 10k. I don't know how many hours for sure, I don't know if he left it in Galveston during Ike, it may have been sitting up for the past 4 years.

On another note if/when I get a boat you need to be there with video camera in hand cause you will not believe how bad I am at backing a trailer up, it is the stuff of legends!

Comment

Baypounder-Jeremy (FP10) can show ya how to back a trailer-ha ha!! We all been there-it becomes pretty easy (except at night with no high mounted trailer lights)!

Just remember, if you have any concern on the boat at all (that especially includes price)-WALK AWAY-there are plenty of boats out there!! I have no idea on the price, but for $14k, you could buy an older model boat and put new power on it. Plus, one of the worst things for a boat is for it to sit and not be run-carbs/injectors/gas tank/wire corrossion/power head.

Comment

Take it to a reputable shop and have them test everything for you if you are not sure. If you are willing to pay the asking price, make it part of the deal. If someone is willing to list for 14k, a few hundred bucks to seal the deal shouldn't kill it.

Comment

He wants $14,000. and you want to pay $10,000. so offer $10,000. cash and buy it for $12,000. or walk away.
                    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

I am on my 5th boat. The first 2 were impulse buys and cost me $$. The third was a project boat that I never finished and sold.
                      Forth was a Kenner 18 and before I took ownership the owners son seized the engine. Now I am in a boat that I was able to pay cash for and its not the nicest boat on the water but its paid for. My marine mechanic checked it out for me as well as the outboard and told me what goods and the bad. All in all I am about $7k in the boat. Don't rush a purchase like I did with my first few boats, I threw away about $3k even after parting them out.

I strongly suggest that you take a marine mechanic with you on the test ride or someone that knows outboards.
                      On financing, a credit union and 25% DOWN is what I think I was asked for last year when I was looking at an offshore boat.
                      What ever you buy be sure to get sea tow or something like it. It will save your money if anything happens while on the water and you need help.
                      NoBama

Comment

Originally posted by BayPounder View Post
                        Hi all,

I think I have found a deal but was wanting to hear some input from people who would know. The boat is a 18' Gulf Coast with a 115 Evinrude, 2005 with about 50 hours on it. It has a battery charger, sea anchor and a couple of rods, of course the trailer also. This person that owns the boat bought it to fish and found out he could catch the fish in the canal so he didn't use it much. I went with him on the first trip he was still breaking in the engine. I will be going to POC to give it a test run in a couple of weeks, so I would need to know what to look for to determine if it is worth the price.

My questions:

1) What do I look for to keep from having to spend more money on repairs?
                        2) What would be a decent price?
                        3) Where would you go to get financing?
                        4) Do I really want to do this?

Thanks for your input!
                        Baypounder i know were a 06 Gulf coast is that closer!It's in Tiki Island that will be for sale nice boat.I have know the ownwer since 06 and it seen little use from them...pm me!
                        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

I walked away from this one even though I think it would be a good buy. I don't have a place to keep it right now, so I am going to build a garage and after that get me a boat.

I really appreciate all of the input. I will revisit this and take it with me when I do buy a boat.

Comment

Working...
                          X