Thinking about replacing my 79 Outboard 150 with a yamaha 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about replacing my 79 Outboard 150 with a yamaha 200

Well guys, last year I bought a 77 Mako with a 79 Evinrude on it. My mechanic had mentioned that the outboard was in deent shape but probobly had 2-3 more seasons of use left in it if I did not dog it out.

I came across a 1990 Yamaha 200 Salt water Series for sale, Its the right price for me and my mechanic is going to go check it out today. He came across if a while back when trading parts with the owner. Its allegedly never been in salt water, my boat mechanic asked him to start it and sure enough it cranked on first turn of the key.

I have not have many issues with my 79 outboard but think this might be a good replacement. I will post pic up as soon as I get them from my mechanic friend.
    I plan to go a few miles offshore eventually once I confirm all is well with the Mako and seas permitting. I will be going from a 150 to a 200. If I buy it I hope to have it in next month.

Your comments are greatly appreciated.
    NoBama

good luck, sounds like a good deal!

Comment

New to me

Well, here is whats going to go on the back of my Mako.
      Attached Files
      NoBama

Comment

Is your Mako the 201 model? If so then you won't have any issues, as engine weight is very similiar. (both v-6 blocks)
        Should burn a bit more fuel, and if memory serves correct, the stock tank was only 36 gallons on that model. I had the same boat out 20 miles on good days, but I also had a 24gal auxillary tank.
        Make sure you've got all your safety gear in order, vhf, good bilge pump, gps...and go for it.

Comment

Wow J. I aint seen one like that in a long time. Rest assured that those old Yammies are good stuff!You take care of it and it will last just about forever.You are gonna test run this weekend aint cha? Good luck and I'll TTYL.
          I was raised by an old Cowboy, therefore I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra Man View Post
            Is your Mako the 201 model? If so then you won't have any issues, as engine weight is very similiar. (both v-6 blocks)
            Should burn a bit more fuel, and if memory serves correct, the stock tank was only 36 gallons on that model. I had the same boat out 20 miles on good days, but I also had a 24gal auxillary tank.
            Make sure you've got all your safety gear in order, vhf, good bilge pump, gps...and go for it.
            It sure is a 201, I have an auxilury 17 gallon tank that I plan to take when I do go offshore. The tank is either 36 or 40 gallons last time I filled it up I lost track after reading the sale price of $135 for the fuel. So far so good on the safety side, including spot finder and sea tow insurance.

I am going to take launch at a Park on HW3 and test it out once its rigged. ETA Mid April. what can ya say, it's a tough economy.
            NoBama

Comment

Working...
            X