Launching Spots For Dana's Cove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Launching Spots For Dana's Cove

This morning I was going to fish Dana's Cove, but forgot my wallet at home so I couldn't launch at the park. Often I want to be in the water before the park opens at 7 anyway. I made the mistake of launching at Jamaica Beach boat ramp and paddling out to Caranchua Cove. That is a long paddle just to get out of the bay. Are there any other spots to launch my yak that will give me access to those coves?

Pirate's ramp.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
      Pirate's ramp.
      X2 it's only 5 mins from danas
      Captain Glenn Stevens
      Coastal Guide Service
      www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

lake como... if the tide is high enough you can cut through the park and voula... your there.

Comment

Wow! That's a long haul and I bet you were wore out after that paddle. Do the locals give you trouble parking on the side of Jolly Roger in JB? We use to walk in on that side years ago.

Comment

Great question, i fished Dana Cove this past Sat for the first time. My GPS led me to a private residence only sign so i turned around and started looking for a suitable site to launch. Luckily i found a spot (not ideal) located next to what seemed to be a restaurant with a boat launch. I didn't realize the boat launch was there until i had already launched. Wish i could remember the name of the place. Next time i pass by it i'll take a picture.

Comment

I think your talkin about the old restaurant at the base of lake como?

Comment

The restaurant is the old Waterman's next to the now demolished Pirate's Cove bait house. Good, long concrete launch. Free with parking. No one is around as property tied up in litigation.

Comment

Not sure, i'm new to this area of Galveston. I found out about Dana Cove from TKF (Texas Kayak Fisherman)
                  Originally posted by sfef84 View Post
                  I think your talkin about the old restaurant at the base of lake como?

Comment

Pretty sure he is talking about that. Not too many other ramps nearby.

Comment

where is pirates ramp?

couple of you said that pirates ramp is 5 min from Danas cove. Where is pirates ramp?
                      Can't find it with Google.

Comment

Pirate's Cove Marina

Head west from 61st on S road. Right past the second golf course at 12 mile road is a condo project and an abandoned restaurant formerly called Waterman's. The launch is right next to the old restaurant which building is three stories high. Cannot miss it. No one is there as the old bait shop and marina were destroyed by Ike. Good concrete ramp with parking on road and parking lot. Galveston Country Club adjacent property.

Comment

I haven't been to Dana Cove. How is the fishing out there? My wife and I are looking for some new places to fish in..

Comment

I regularly launch my kayak from the Waterman ramp (Pirates). The paddle through Lake Como and left to Dana (when the tide is right) is about 10 minutes or so. Fish the outer bars on an outgoing tide, or deeper into the cove otherwise. Plenty of places to wade, though the bottom on the west side of the cove is muddy. Dana is heavily fished on the weekends due to it's proximity to GISP. Be sure to leave nothing in your parked vehicle, and it be best not to park on the property.
                            At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Working...
                            X