Mackerel Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mackerel Reports

I have heard 3 separate reports of spanner macks busting bait in the channel.

They come in early about this time every year just as the surf gets to 70F or so, well before the trout become thick.

You will need wire leaders, of course. Preferably short single strand ones, as they have good eyesight, and can be picky at times.

This early in the year, they will often only hit very small lures. Tiny silver spoons (like a Super Duper) work very well. Put them under a float for casting weight.

I have a feeling the first calm day in the surf they will be on. I may go and try to go and check out the channel to see if they are thick there.

The speed of their strikes is amazing, plus they are very tasty fish.

Can't wait!
    Resident Ninja

Comment

Jonathan, don't wait buddy!

Get to Academy and buy some of the smallest cotton cordell slab spoons, or a few freshwater panfish spoons and some single strand wire. Learn to tie a haywire twist and rig 'em up.

The macks are really thick for a week or so and then they disperse and will be around, but not as plentiful for the rest of the Summer. Get on it while you can.

Comment

Arghh I wish I could take off from school and work but I probably won't be able to hit the water until the weekend. But i will load up on some of that gear. Hopefully they are close to shore or in the surf and not in the middle of the channel.
        Resident Ninja

Comment

good info yan!
          MANVEL MOB

Comment

Nah, they will be pretty close. I am going to go the the channel to check it out this afternoon. If I don't see bait busting from the shore I won't even put in.

Fellas, it is a little far off to say, but it looks like Thursday evening to Saturday morning will be prime conditions in the surf assuming the forecast holds up. It is still early for trout, but I'll bet the spanners will be in strong and there should be some striped fish to be had too.

Comment

Thanks for the report and info. I'd really like to get on 'em. May see if I can get free for Friday friday morning. My silver spoons and jigs have been waitin in the garage for a while now! If I go, I'll post a report.

Hey, Milkjug. What "striped fish" fish are you refering to? I'll apologize in advance if that's a stupid question. I can only think of sheepies. Is that what you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by spannymacker View Post
                Thanks for the report and info. I'd really like to get on 'em. May see if I can get free for Friday friday morning. My silver spoons and jigs have been waitin in the garage for a while now! If I go, I'll post a report.

Hey, Milkjug. What "striped fish" fish are you refering to? I'll apologize in advance if that's a stupid question. I can only think of sheepies. Is that what you mean?

Yes that's what he's talking about.......... good luck friday!
                I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                  Nah, they will be pretty close. I am going to go the the channel to check it out this afternoon. If I don't see bait busting from the shore I won't even put in.

Fellas, it is a little far off to say, but it looks like Thursday evening to Saturday morning will be prime conditions in the surf assuming the forecast holds up. It is still early for trout, but I'll bet the spanners will be in strong and there should be some striped fish to be had too.

Detailed Surf Forecast and Surf Report for Galveston, Texas including top quality forecast resources.

Comment

Lookin good! Just hope it cleans up.

Comment

saturday morning when were coming back from SLP, the water was a nice green color from Access 3 back to surfside. The green water was holding off the beach about 150 yards from A-3 back to SLP.

Comment

Rigging question: When you use the single strand wire, do you tie the haywire twist directly to your lure or should it be to a swivel snap or something? I'm just wondering how the action of the spoon will be effected, if any.

I usually use 30-40 pound shock leader and just check the leader if I get a hit or a mack and cut off the frayed section, if necessary. Of course, I still have lost a few lures with the 30-40 lb mono leader; but I've had better luck catching macks with the mono leader versus a wire leader. They definately can be picky because of their good eyesight. However, I have not tried single strand wire on them before; so, I wanted to give that a try. Thanks for the great info, guys!

Comment

tie the wire to the lure and then on the other side, swivel. Me, I use the black coated steel from berkley and make a bunch of 18" leaders with a swivel on one end and snaps on the other. I use the 20# cable and get small crimps. I prefer the cable to the wire cause of kinks in the wire. Hard to get it strait again.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
                            tie the wire to the lure and then on the other side, swivel. Me, I use the black coated steel from berkley and make a bunch of 18" leaders with a swivel on one end and snaps on the other. I use the 20# cable and get small crimps.
                            thanks!

Comment

Everyone has their own way, and most work well.

I use no swivels at all. You tie a swivel on the mainline side of the leader and it will get hit and cut the whole thing off, especially if you are using a silver swivel and the macks are going after small bait

If you tie it to the lure side of the leader it adds unnecessary bulk.

Just haywire both sides. The haywire won't cinch up on the lure, and leaves a small loop, so it is like a split ring and gives the lure movement.

The single strand will kink up compared to the braided wire, but I believe the smaller presentation the fact you don't need crimps makes it worth it.

Obviously a heavy mono leader is more low profile. One of the reasons I use circle hooks on spoons is to avoid prolonged leader to tooth contact while fighting the mack, since the spoon will hook in the corner of the mouth.

I got into them thick though and they were eventually cutting the mono too, so single strand gets the vote for now.

The forecast is changing a bit and Thursday looks better now. Too bad I can only go in the morning. I will still be going early on Friday, hopefully the onshore flow will still be pretty weak so I can hit the surf.

Comment

Working...
                              X