what to Get ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to Get ???

I run a 18 ft kenner and want a yak to be able to put inside to take places, i always see spots that i wish i had one, never owned one before so not sure what to look for, also about to be living in bayou vista so it would be cool to have one, any help would be appreciatted !!!!
    Last edited by aqua pimp; March 30, 2011, 11:01 PM.
    I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

The longer the kayak the less stable the kayak is. For example my Tarpon 160 is a 16 footer and you can flip just by leaning over the side. On the other hand, the Hobie Pro Fisherman is around 14-15 feet and you can stand up on that as well. Also there are two types of kayaks; paddle and foot powered. Also, you probably want something that is light weight since you want to easily load and unload the kayak from your boat.
    Resident Ninja

Comment

Jhua - I would do some research about the length of the yak and the stability. Larger does not mean less stable. Generally the wider the kayak the more stable it is. Most of the kayaks built for speed are less stable and the opposite it true.

Reef -
      If your looking to quickly launch from your boat for short trips go find a 10' somewhere. If your looking to launch and paddle around for hours then you gotta get something larger. More storage, rod holders...etc. You also have to consider your height and weight.
      I an 6' about 215lbs and have a 12' emotion, which is fine. If I had to do it over I would have gotten the Malibu x-factor I saw for slightly more $. Suggest you go and hit the used market, then you wont have to add on all the accessories which add up quick.

Comment

Check TKF (http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/) for people selling used kayaks. There are usually a handfull that are already rigged and good deals
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

[QUOTE=Lav 20;124442]Jhua - I would do some research about the length of the yak and the stability. Larger does not mean less stable. Generally the wider the kayak the more stable it is. Most of the kayaks built for speed are less stable and the opposite it true.

I neglected that. I just couldn't put it into words. thanks for the clarification.
          Resident Ninja

Comment

[QUOTE=Jhua;124459]
            Originally posted by Lav 20 View Post
            Jhua - I would do some research about the length of the yak and the stability. Larger does not mean less stable. Generally the wider the kayak the more stable it is. Most of the kayaks built for speed are less stable and the opposite it true.

I neglected that. I just couldn't put it into words. thanks for the clarification.
            Jhua go over to TKF and you will find several version of homemade float to stablize that 16 ft seasaw!
            I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Like Lav 20 said, depends on how long a paddle you are looking to do. if its just out of your boat for a few 100 yards, I would go with a cheap light 10 to 12 footer (depending on your size)

I have a 16 footer. Tarpon 160, and its fast, pretty stable but a little on the heavy side. I also suggest getting the best paddle you can afford. I have a carbon fiber one. Its worth the extra coin if you are going the distance. If you just want to anchor your boat and paddle into some coves etc, then its a non issue.

Buy used, your going to scuff it up anyway, plus the rigging is done.

Comment

I love it how everyone just suggests their favorite yak... He is looking for a yak to mothership around guys.

Get something small that is easy to load and lighter. You will be taking it in and out of a boat constantly, often by yourself I imagine. Speed is not an issue because he is using an engine to get there.

Something like a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 would be a good choice. If you are a bigger guy, the Malibu Mini-X has a higher weight capacity. Most brands will have a yak in the 10' range. I would suggest this for what you are talking about doing.

Comment

Ooops, sorry guys. I just saw "tarpon 160" at the top and went off Good suggestions were made already, have a great weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by Lav 20 View Post
                    If your looking to quickly launch from your boat for short trips go find a 10' somewhere. If your looking to launch and paddle around for hours then you gotta get something larger. More storage, rod holders...etc. You also have to consider your height and weight. Suggest you go and hit the used market, then you wont have to add on all the accessories which add up quick.
                    I'd suggest a used Ocean Kayak Scrambler or the smaller and lighter Frenzy. They are wider, so a bit more stable. The Frenzy would not be recommended for long trips, but would be suitable for satellite ops. from the mother ship.

Here is an example:
                    http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/f...renzy#p1610766
                    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

thanks everyone, milkjug got it just lookin for somethin to anchor the boat off and then go into coves and stuff and if i like it then i am goin to look into getting a larger one for all day events, found quite a few on craigs list that site is addicting

Comment

Originally posted by Reef Drifter View Post
                        thanks everyone, milkjug got it just lookin for somethin to anchor the boat off and then go into coves and stuff and if i like it then i am goin to look into getting a larger one for all day events, found quite a few on craigs list that site is addicting
                        Mini x... Dont go bigger than 12. Remembr that thw wider the more stable, but u can loose some speed. Think anout the less u carry on the yak the easier it is to fish. U can always try some out before u buy. Ack rents, amd ftu have a pool for u to try out. Good luck.

Comment

Brother, I have a 11' prowler ocean kayak. It is not very fast but it makes up for stability, I am 5' 8" and weigh 265 and it is perfect. The downside is that they are indeed over priced. If money is not an issue, I strongly recommend a 11' prowler by ocean kayak. Once again, this is my personal opinion and I respect everyone else's.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                            Ooops, sorry guys. I just saw "tarpon 160" at the top and went off Good suggestions were made already, have a great weekend!
                            LOL, Easy buddy! Just kiddin. I suggested the same smaller yak for a tag along. If you have a chance, ask around to see if you can borrow one for a test. See if it fits in your boat and see what its like to load it back into the boat by yourself. Them things get heavy after a few too many cold ones.

Comment

Originally posted by fishingRED View Post
                              Mini x... Dont go bigger than 12. Remembr that thw wider the more stable, but u can loose some speed. Think anout the less u carry on the yak the easier it is to fish. U can always try some out before u buy. Ack rents, amd ftu have a pool for u to try out. Good luck.
                              i always forget about ftu, i never go up that way, looks ill be makin a trip this weekend

Comment

Working...
                              X