Early Beachfront Spanners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Beachfront Spanners

The forecast shifted around a bunch, but there was a good window on Thursday. It was still a bit choppy with some big rollers here and there.

Water clarity was superb. I would have gone diving instead if I had more time.

No mack action on top, so I was having my doubts about if it would be a productive day. I started trolling and heard that familiar "ZZZZZZZ" after about 10 minutes.

All mackerel were caught well past the 3rd bar, about 150 yards offshore. Trolling just outside of the broken weedline seemed to be the best.

Finished with 4 fish to ~22". Not red-hot, but not bad either for 2 hours of fishing. Had one break off due to my drag not set right and he broke the knot that joins the leader to the braid (due to pressure, no cutting). Keep that drag loose for that first blistering run!

It is a dang shame I had to go to Houston for the afternoon or I would have stayed out!

Good sized mack for the Spring.

Decent sized mack spitting out small baitfish. I am a firm believer in smaller spoons for the early macks, especially if they are not feeding aggressively. The other yakker out there wasn't having much luck. He was there earlier and had only one break off by the time I left.

Modest haul, plenty for dinner though.

Very nice. Too bad the waves are looking to be rough for the weekend. Hopefully they will start moving closer to shore.
    Resident Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Jhua View Post
      Very nice. Too bad the waves are looking to be rough for the weekend. Hopefully they will start moving closer to shore.
      Jhua,
      Surf should be pretty flat Saturday. http://www.swellinfo.com/surf-foreca...ton-texas.html
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

That site is helpful but it's been wrong more than it's been right. I stumbled upon it in the summer and it's been hit or miss.
        Resident Ninja

Comment

x2 on swellinfo
          Got slapped in the face a few times last summer in the surf, but it's still a decent site

Comment

Hey, just fish the channel if the surf is too rough, they have been catching there too.

Comment

Where at in the channel? I wanted to go yakking this weekend but...idk
              Resident Ninja

Comment

more like surfing this weekend. it was blowing 20 + this morning in surfside.
                the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Very nice! enjoyed the report! Glad you found some macks.

Comment

Nice report and catch,congrats
                    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Working...
                    X