Getting in and out of Chocolate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting in and out of Chocolate

Sorry, not a fishing report, but what better forum to ask than the Chocolate Bay regulars. I fish all over west bay and SLP but don't venture up into Chocolate. I've got the charts, but my concern is crossing into the ICW, from there I can follow the markers and learn my way around. When tides are running low, how do you guys enter chocolate directly from west bay? Are there any markers to direct you through the spoils? I have some ICW entrances marked on GPS myself, but they are much further east. Any help would be appreciated.

What kind of boat?
    sigpic

Comment

There are bouys marking the channel to and from chocolate. How ever if you find the two pvc poles marking alligator head you can cut thru there. For now just follow the channel bouys.They are marked on any hot spot map or GPS.Just make sure you know how to read the bouys at an intesection in the ICW. They have barges that come up in chocolate to the chemical plants at 2004.
      Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Great question.

I am looking forward to all the resposes.

Comment

running chocolate

google earth helped me.
          castaway300
          Attached Files

Comment

The safest way is to come up the channel and stay between the red and green markers.

Once going up this channel there are numerous spoil shell reefs on both sides ..... low tide is actually better to see these.
            Lots of folks fish both sides of the channel right off these reefs and catch good fish
            There are cuts and small passes through these reefs, you just need to learn where they are

Alligator Head was mentioned and you should use some care coming through here as the west side of that cut has a big long reef.
            The PVC pole (s) is the marker and you should stay to the east of it, but you can run close to it as the shore line point gets shallow.

From west bay, one in you can make a right to the Narrows / mouth of halls
            There is a big round reef out side of Halls so stay on plan unitl your in there or dirft up there and fish that reef.

Lots of guys have been drifting that shoreline from Hall north. This is a good drift and some of that area can be waded.
            (look for the shell bank)

I guess this is a little more info than you requested.

I have 25 yrs of solid experience on that bay, so I helped re-do the Hot-spots map F127 after Hurricane Ike.
            I reccomend you getting that particular map ( note the flats on the back side of Galveston and make sure you have permision to fish that area)
            FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Boat is a 23 Hydra-Sport, so I can't get too skinny. Once I'm inside the ICW, I'm not worried about heading north up the bay. My question is really just how you guys get into the ICW from say....the tire reef. Sounds like there's a cut close to alligator head. I can also plot a course using google earth. anything else? I know nothing beats just being there and figureing it out on your own.

Comment

Big Barges take their loads up into Chocolate all the time.

They simply follow the channel markers from the ICW north into Chocolate
                FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra Man View Post
                  When tides are running low, how do you guys enter chocolate directly from west bay?
                  Originally posted by Hydra Man View Post
                  My question is really just how you guys get into the ICW from say....the tire reef.
                  Hydra Man is asking how to safely enter the Chocolate Bay complex from West Bay.

Leaving West Bay, can a boat just cruise into Chocolate Bay?

Are there cuts that should be used?

Does West Bay shallow up as you near the intersection of the ICW and Chocolate channel intersection?

Hydra Man, Does that sound like what you are wanting to know?

Comment

Chocolate has two good spots to enter

The cut at Alligator head (stay to the east of the big PVC pole)
                    or
                    Through the main channel marked by the red and white bouy's

The west side of where Chocolate meets the ICW has some reefs that get very shallow and are not marked
                    The east side of where Chocolate meets the ICW has an island but it turns to a reef as it moves east
                    FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Bouy 37 you are correct. The issue is really crossing into the ICW prior to entering chocolate. I know in many parts of west bay, the south side of the ICW is lined with spoils. Maybe it's not a an issue at this location or I'd be hearing more about it. Thanks everyone for the info. I'll report back when I make the trip.

Comment

chocolate

ive never had a problem south of the intercoastal...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hydra Man,
                          Private Message me and I can take you around Chocolate on your boat, so you can nagivate. Sometimes this is the best way to learn the area unless you want to learn the hard way, like I did!
                          LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Working...
                          X