468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about fishing Wednesday-Friday - any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about fishing Wednesday-Friday - any suggestions?

West Bay Anglers,
    With the weather looking so good this week, I was thinking about taking a few days off and heading down to do some fishing. Any suggestions on where I should go? As you know from a previous thread, I am a newbie to West Bay, but I am willing to try anything to get my feet wet (not literaturely )
    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

San Luis Pass is always an easy spot to fish, I have had some amazing days out there over the years. If you have a boat you can fish the columns of the bridge. If you want to fish from shore, fish right next to the bridge on the surf side. there is a deep drop off with lots of current there. Also about a mile down the beach from the bridge there is a spot where the sand bars have a gap. I used to fish there before ike, not sure if the break is still there. You can see it by the change in the way the waves break. It is pretty obvious if you are looking for it. I found it by accident a few years ago. Caught lots of whiting, pompano, jacks, macks, reds, trout, drum, and sharks there.

Comment

Thanks for the input, but most of the west end anglers are telling me to stay away from San Luis Pass until I can have someone show me around. I might drive there one day and try the surf. What did you use for bait?
      LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Well as far as boating all the way there, yes I totally agree with them. Its easy to get on top of a bar. But if you launch at the state park across the bridge you can get there with no issues. I usually just trailer down there if I am gonna fish that area. There are also some islands a few miles west of the causeway that have shells and are about the right depth. Look at some of the aerials that Coe posted and you should be able to see them. Lots of whiting in the surf right now. Not much of a fight, but no size or quantity limits, and they taste just like crappie! I read somewhere that someone fished the surf this weekend and brought in 50 in a half day excursion.

Comment

Chip is fishing West Bay this whole week. I am heading out there with him on Thursday. When he gets back in this evening I am sure he will post up where he was. Most likely up in Jones, but with this light wind who knows.

Comment

1-2 foot seas in the surf all week too!

Comment

Thanks for all the information Uncle Handy. It sounds like I have several options, which is always good.
              LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

UncleHandy, did you use live shrimp or plastics in the surf?
                LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

id hit up xmas bay, bastrop and some of the back lakes over there, maybe churchill bayou also...
                  Boats and hoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer21 View Post
                    UncleHandy, did you use live shrimp or plastics in the surf?
                    Both seem to work well. Shrimp are just a lot more trouble. But in the winter you dont have to worry about keeping their water cool. Popping corks have done me well with plastics and live shrimp in years past.

Comment

The coves on the south shoreline should be good later in the week with the water temps up. If you like to wade, there is nothing better. Throw tops, tails or suspending baits like a mirrolure catch 2000.
                      sigpic
                      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Explorer21, you looking at doing some wading? A couple of friends and I fished one of the South shorleines in West Bay Sunday. I caught the only trout of the day a 24" 4# on a Pinky Corky Fat Boy. We also caught quite a few nice flounder. There should be plenty of bait the rest of the week now that we're getting some warmer weather. I'm thinking of trying again one or two days this week.

Comment

Explorer, check out milkjug's post on the surf fishing if you havent already.

Comment

To all, thanks for the information. I might go wading tomorrow either via a boat or going to Sportsman Rd or even SLP.
                            LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Well I gotta work tomorrow but I might go Thursday and/or Friday, Saturday for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X