Which flies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which flies?

Hey Guys (and gals), i just got my fly setup and i am anxious to fish! I will us it primarily out of the yak. My setup is an 8wt. TFO BVK, Lamson Konic 3.5 reel, and SA saltwater taper line. (sound good?) my question is what are some good ares to fly fish on the south shoreline outta the yak? Is West Bay too murky? And finally, what flies are da best for you if you dont mind sharing?

Russ

Don't know if I can answer your question about good areas since there's so much water out there and most of it can hold fish, it just depends on conditions and timing. I can say that West Bay is usually clear enough to fly fish if you're in shallow. I usually have good water clarity on most of the flats I fish if the weather is cooperating. I can also offer you my flies of choice. I chose these after reading around and talking to some guys I know, who have been doing it for a while. I like the sinking clouser because it drops down to the fishes eyesight when it's tailing. Sinking shrimp patterns and spoons are also good, but spoons have a tendency to twist your leader. Small poppers also work pretty well in the marsh, too. For trout I'd go with clousers or other baitfish patterns like the Lefty's Deceiver. The Seaducer also works pretty well for them, but they can be picky with flies.

Hope this helps and good luck.
    You never know what the tide might bring

Comment

Thank you! I have a small clouser and a larger clouser (one chart/wht and one red/wht) as well as a few shrimp patterns and a SMALL popper that is supposed to be for redfish but i cant believe a re would take a second look at something that small.
      Many thanks, keep the replies coming.

Russ

Comment

You will have a hard time going wrong with Clouser's, Seaducers, small shrimp patterns and spoon flies. Color selection may vary slightly with the water you fish, but Galveston fish seem to like red, chartreuse, and pink just fine. It's always going to be some experimentation, but when you find the right combination, it's worth the effort.

Probably more important than the fly or the color is to get the fly in front of the fish. Most reds will eat if the fly is presented well.
        http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Working...
        X