New to fishing the area!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to fishing the area!

I'm brand new to Houston and need to learn where to fish down here. I've grown up fishing Port A to POC areas. What are some suggestions for some newbie spots? I'm not a newbie to fishing, just to the area. Until I get a new boat, I'm limited to kayaks and wade fishing.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

What side of town do you live on? Do you throw artificials or live? Weekdays or weekends?

Comment

I live on the NW part of the inner loop. I'll fish using live bait or artificials and I typically fish weekends due to work.

Comment

do not expect the water to clear up after 1 tide change like down in port a!

Comment

Here you go, read this thread some good info in here

Comment

East Beach in front of the tall condos is one of my favorite beach wading spots for specks in the Summer. Quite a few sharks out there too.

Comment

BubbaGump, is the a lot of that sargussum grass in the surf in this area? The surf is pretty flat most of the time here isn't it?

Comment

It wasn't bad at all the whole Summer up until September when I was out there last. It is usually as flat as the rest of the island. If you're only catching ladyfish out there and no specks, watch for dorsal fins.

Comment

Trade your grass flats for oyster reefs and mud shell mix up here. There is some grass in Xmas Bay and West bay but I have found the reefs hold more fish ...even shallow scattered mud shell mix has out produced the grass a lot up here. Head to east bay this summer and fish the deep reefs. Ship channel area can be good this summer as well..speaking of that...watch out around the ship channel and the galveston channel (the channel west of the dike) ...if you see a big ship coming and your near the humps on either side of the channel lookout... a big wave will be coming your way. Those ships don't pay much attention to slowing down and they throw a huge wake. Also, some of the boat ramps on the dike and up to kema...the big waves can roll in and suck the water out on multilple waves. Several boats have been destroyed over the years when there boats went under the dock when the water got sucked out, then when it came back in there boat got crushed under the dock as the water came back in.

have fun, check out our DVD's at our site sometime....although they are built for fishing anywhere speckled trout exist they were mostly shot here and a lot of people have really used them to be more effective on the water... click the link below to check out the free clips.
                  TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X