Baitcast cleaning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baitcast cleaning?

I've been rinsing and cleaning my baitcast reel after every wade, but I still have problems with it. If someone could help with some cleaning tips and techniques for a baitcast reel it would help me out a lot. Replacing bearings is getting costly. Thanks and good luck fishing.

I never ever rinse off my reels. After every trip they are sprayed down with a light coat of oil and wiped off. If they are ever dunked they are broken down that evening and cleaned. Problem with rinsing after fishing is your rinsing off oil and causing salt and grit to be flushed into the inside of the reel.

AQUA PIMP
    AQUA PIMP......
    "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

what kind of reel bud ???
        I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

Shimano Citica about 5 yrs old.

Comment

Originally posted by aqua pimp View Post
            I never ever rinse off my reels. After every trip they are sprayed down with a light coat of oil and wiped off. If they are ever dunked they are broken down that evening and cleaned. Problem with rinsing after fishing is your rinsing off oil and causing salt and grit to be flushed into the inside of the reel.

AQUA PIMP
            Greg,
            What kind of oil do you use?
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

X2 on what Capt. Francis said...I spray the rod with fresh water, making sure I don't spray the reel, and lightly spray WD40 on the reels after each trip, then wipe them down later, if one gets dunked it ends up going to see Cubbage for an overhaul...always comes back from him like new...

Comment

WD-40 turns to laquer. I wouldn't want to put that on my reels.
                "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Been working good for me for past 10 years...never had any issues.

Comment

Try Remoil or Reel Magic-WD40 is a sticky oil-so long as you use your reel often, it works fine, just don't let it sit for 6 months or it'll be messed up. Spray some WD40 on a piece of metal or an old plate and come back in a month-it'll be sticky to the touch-not so with Remoil or other lighter oils.
                    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Spray some Corrosion X on a rag and wipe your reel with it.works great.
                      Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

I rinse my reels in the sink and open them up, take the spool out and let it dry on a towel. Then I wipe it down with CorX and add a light drop of oil in the bearings.

Comment

I guess my stuff never sits very long without being used....when it does withdrawal sets in and it gets ugly...Then the the family sends me to the coast for rehab...its tough being an addict!!

Comment

I use WD40 aswell. I just spray it on and wipe it off. When I break a reel down I use Corrosion X.On the rod I just Armorall. Spray it on and wipe it off.

AQUA PIMP
                            AQUA PIMP......
                            "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Treme Reel+

Comment

Working...
                              X