• Change of plan pays off BIG

Subterrain - 4-5' over mud and scattered shell
    Water Temp - 62-66
    Wind - SE 5 - 10
    Level - normal
    Skies - Sunny
    Temp - upper 70s
    Pressure - steady

Fished today with my buddies Clint Gonzales and Maurice Estlinbaum. Was planning on heading to West this afternoon, but since the tide was going to be slack all afternoon, we decided to head north. After a LONG drive we finally launched about 3:00. On the way out the channel from the ramp we saw abundant bait, so we were thinking it was going to be on. When we got into the bay, we saw the dreaded brown water everywhere with visibility about 6". We ran all over looking for bait and finally decided to slip in for our first wade about 4:00 after finally seeing a few mullet. Not one bump on the first wade so we moved about a mile and splashed in again. Nothing happening there either.
    We finally found some good bait and slipped in again.
    The tide started pushing in some Green water and Maurice had the first Blow up about 15 minutes later. I waded into a shallow cove in about 1 1/2' of water with tons of bait and had a HUGE blow up. I saw spots and was thinking that this was the Wallhanger I have been searching for. It fought for about 10 seconds and then started rolling.......S__T - a 4' alligator gar had annihilated my Skitterwalk. It took me about 5 minutes to shake her loose and I waded back out of the cove as I heard Maurice yell "BIG TROUT". First trout of the day - 27" and just under 7 lbs released. They started feeding and a few minutes later I was hooked up and she was staying down and taking line....Redfish......Wrong. Got her in and now have a new PB of 26 1/2 and just over 6 1/2 lb. She had a hook in the gills and I tried to get it out without hurting her, but ended up pulling a gill out, so she came home with me. We kept getting HUGE blow ups, but couldn't hook up. I finally snagged a 20" and a 16", and then had another huge blow up that I figured had to be another big trout......wrong.....Redfish. It died off after that and we headed in about 7:15.
    It was a gorgeous day to be on the water and it was awesome to finally see fish really hammering tops again. I will be back out in the same spot tomorrow!

Last edited by imhammer; March 18, 2009, 10:55 PM.
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Nice report and catching.Congrats
    NK
    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Nice fat trout Chip. I'll take that as a PB right now.
      I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Nothing wrong with those babies! Good job and report.
        Don't be a Nancy!
        If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

sweet!
          "Nobody's so poor that democrats can't get rich screwing 'em."
          boom

Comment

Nice IMHammer. I never heard of anyone catching a gar on a top-pretty dang cool-bet that made the heart jump! nice report and fishing.
            Thanks!
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

NICE!! I'll take those fish anyday. Good job and thanks for the report.

M.M.
              "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Nice Chip!
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Great trout and report!

Comment

Awesome trout! It's been too long since I caught a nice one.

Comment

dang nice fish and report.
                      congrats on the pb
                      XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Comment

wish i was on that trip.
                        10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Nice work

That's the same size as my PB trout as well.

Man...with those fish short striking, and slapping those topwaters without taking them, i would have drug a fat boy through there. May have paid off....
                          "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Very nice Chip

AQUA PIMP
                            AQUA PIMP......
                            "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Working...
                            X