No announcement yet.

Are the pelican castaway yaks that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the pelican castaway yaks that bad?

I'm a beginner yaker so I was lookin at the pelican castaway yak . I've heard some good reviews and bad one for the price and bein a beginner are they really that bad ?!?!

when i say i gotta yak, that doesnt mean i have a long haired buffalo livin in my backyard !!!!!
    I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

I've never used one, but My kayak is terrible and there's nothing worse than a bad yak! Go find a place to try one out, like Austin Canoe & Kayak Demo days or another retailer. Figure out what you like and go from there. Some of the guys here might help you out in that department.
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

academy sells a new kayak called Perception Sport Pescador. Its a WS Tarpon 120 which is an excellent kayak and far better than the pelican. I've fished out of a pelican and it ain't bad but it ain't good.

Comment

Get something else. If you want to sell it and upgrade, those pelicans don't hold their value as well as others. Plus they suck.

Comment

Hahaha okay thanks

Comment

I posted a similar discussion asking for kayaks under $500. That is one of my options but the guys suggested buying a better kayak used. Or I might try out the Perception Sport Pescador it seems like a decent buy.

Comment

I have a pelican yak and it gets the job done, but I would see what all you can find on craigslist or something first.

Comment

Okay thanks

Comment

Just take your time and find a good used one. Or save up some extra cash and buy the one you want new. If you can find a good used Perception Bimini I'd snatch it up. I have had 2 over the last 12 years and loved them. Perception doesn't make them anymore for some reason, but they are great fishing yaks. And of course you can't go wrong with a WS Tarpon. Texaskayakfisherman.com always has some for sale.

Comment

Castaway I had was too unstable for my taste. (round bottom) Took it back and traded for Malibu, much better. I spent too much time focusing on not dumping the castaway, decided it was worth a $150 more to enjoy myself.

Comment

Thanks a lot Wiggy

Comment

The best way to buy the right kayak is to try different ones first. One opton is renting and trying for a day, this does cost a little more in the big picture, but you won't be stuck with one already purchased that you may not like. Also you can find some places such as FTU that has a tank and will let you try them out for free (they will even carry it out to the tank for you. This is not the same as fishing out of one, but you can test for stability.

Comment

are you getting one after your truck is fixed ??? if so we'll go down to ftu and try them out im ready for one to
                            I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

Yes very shortly sambo

Comment

Working...
                              X