'Ol Gatuh Gar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Ol Gatuh Gar

Been catching way too many of these guys. Didn't have a problem with them in the Winter. They either take too long to land, or bust up my lines.

Thats a big Gar. Caught one like that a few years ago in Chocolate on a Redshad Assassin. Your right, way to long to land. I was fishing a Trout tourney when I caught mine, took me out of the game for about 45 minutes. I was pissed!!!!! I dont know whats worse Gars or Jacks!!! Gars take way to long but atleast a Jack will end things quick LOL

AQUA PIMP
    AQUA PIMP......
    "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

DO u eat this crock fish mutation.......................?

Comment

nice job landing it.it is a big one
        Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Had a pretty funny experience this winter with a gar. Flynut gave me the idea of fishing for winter trout out of a float tube to work deeper areas slower. Well I was out in about 12 feet of water and came tight to a heavy fish. It was after that freeze we had so I thought it was a big lethargic trout or red at first. I knew it wasn't a trout or red when the fish finally woke up and proceeded to drag me around for 30 minutes in the float tube. To make matters worse, my fins broke off in the middle of the fight so I became severally limited in my ability to maneuver to fight the fish. Long story short, I made it to shore and proceeded to land a 6-7 ft gar that I had foul hooked. I guess he was laying in that deep hole sleeping.

Comment

DO
            u eat this crock fish mutation.......................?
            No. I haven't tried gar yet. I have had them die on the lines though, and the meat looked good. I am going to start carrying some tin snips to clean them on the river when I have them die on me. No way one of those is going to fit in my cooler, and I'm not cutting my trip short.

Comment

Big gar means big trout where I come from...
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Nice job. Last summer, a 5 ft one kept showing up in my canal. I had only seen one once in there before and it was years ago. However, he kept showing up in the green lights and rolling around in the day and one day we caught him. It was on a light rod though and the dock was about 3 ft above the water so after a long fight he broke the rod when he bolted at the sight of our rope.
                You never know what the tide might bring

Comment

What river and how are you catching them?

Comment

The mighty Brazos, weighted juglines.

Comment

I've tried and tried to catch them with jug lines on different rivers with no luck. How do you set them up? Live or cut bait? Thanks for the help, I would love to land one of these beasts.

Comment

Single 7/0 circle hook near the bottom. Fresh cut fish as bait, whatever you can get, I use saltwater panfish. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X