Wadefishing Sportsmans road tomorrow - First time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wadefishing Sportsmans road tomorrow - First time

My brother and I can't take waiting for the boat purchase to be done and over with anymore so we decided to head down to the island tomorrow morning to get some wadefishing in. It will be the first time for the both of us to wade Galveston and we're looking forward to trying something new.

I've done a bit of recon on the area using Google Earth and was wondering if the small island west of Sportsmans would be good to poke around in? I saw a few guts that looked worthy of investigation as well. My plan is to work some topwaters in the early morning and switch to jigs later on.

Any and all advice is appreciated. I plan on writing up a report tomorrow evening.

Get your nuts wet and let us know how you do...
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

You can work all the way around that little island, but make sure to shuffle. It's major ray territory.
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

that Island is surrounded by reef balls be careful around them

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
          They hurt!!!!!!! Trust me I know

Comment

So that must be what those dome shaped deals were on the satellite view... Thanks for the heads up.

As for the rays, I'm gonna go buy some RayGuards tonight for some additional peace of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by truckypop View Post
              So that must be what those dome shaped deals were on the satellite view... Thanks for the heads up.

As for the rays, I'm gonna go buy some RayGuards tonight for some additional peace of mind.
              Talk to Explorer21 he was hit through his ray guards... be sure they are covering you 100% he had a small area that wasn't covered & wouldn't you know....

Comment

Talk to Explorer21 he was hit through his ray guards... be sure they are covering you 100% he had a small area that wasn't covered & wouldn't you know....
                Jeez. Go figure... Murphy's Law in action even on the flats

Comment

any1 ever tried using modified soccer shin guards?

Comment

Mike got hit by a ray?
                    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

That is a good area. I caught my first topwater trout off the shell reef on the N. side of the island. I am talking about the island that is about 150 yards due W. from the cul-de-sac. It has a nice gut to the S. of it, and a huge reef off the N. side.

I didn't know Mike got ray'ed either.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                        Mike got hit by a ray?
                        Yeah... It went in & out and I told him to go to the doctor but he toughed it out & took over the counter anti-biotics. He called me after it happened he thought it was a mullet... Mullets don't draw blood or leave a throbbing area where they made contact

Comment

Originally posted by proliar amateurfisherman View Post
                          will not work.

Comment

Originally posted by ProLiar AmateurFisherman View Post
                            I guess you could... do yourself a favor and buy some ray guards... purpose built and you dony have to deal with the cost/time of the learning curve to perfect your idea.

Comment

Working...
                            X