Galveston Surf 4/28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galveston Surf 4/28

I managed to catch the window last Thursday afternoon and got to E. Beach right as the onshore flow started again. It was glassy with good clarity, but there were still decent-sized long period swells coming in. Not much weed around as it was still blown out.

I managed to get out with only one swell breaking on me and started trolling out to the rocks. There were small keeper smacks jumping while chasing bait here and there, but no hook-ups.

I got to a good looking area on the jetty and started fishing the rocks with live shrimp on a slip cork. I figured it would be a good bet with sheephead season winding down but surf trout almost here too. The swells breaking on the rocks were pretty unnerving, and you had to keep your distance. The sheep action was good, and I got my limit plus one small keeper released. No pigs, just decent fish. Also got lucky and foul hooked a mack, plus threw back a big ladyfish, rat red, and hardhead.

Trolling back in along the rocks the smacks were working bait and I caught another one and had 2 come off the hook early. Kind of unusual as the circle normally does a good job holding them once they are on. I probably could have done alright targeting macks only, but at freaking $9 a pint I felt obligated to use the shrimp up (I got them at Aunt Margie's but I would go to Tucker&Son for better quality and much better price). I can't wait until June and the surf-run trout. It will be tops and plastics only until next Spring (unless shark or mack fishing).

E report Yan!
    I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Very nice Yan !!
      I saw I missed your call on Friday
      Call me back when u can
      Captain Glenn Stevens
      Coastal Guide Service
      www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Good work yan
        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Working...