Rough Idle-choke issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough Idle-choke issue?

2008 VMax 150 carbed. motor ran fine until a month ago-started getting hard to start and rough idle, so replaced plugs, started better but idles rough even after warmed up. When I push down on key while putting down canal, rpm jumps 1000 up and motor sounds and runs great for about 1 minute then goes back to rough, then push key choke again and then runs fine.

Before I tear down the carb covers and spray the heck outta it with carb cleaner (which means trailer it and unscrew all covers to get at carbs), I wanna know if it's possibly an electrical choke issue or probably (hope) just a sticking choke which will be good when cleaned real well with carb cleaner spray. Motor runs fine at WOT or anywhere in between. Plugs are gapped correctly (0.40).

TXShockwave-your thoughts are most appreciated.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Dadgum Ethanol
    Andros Tarpon 26

Comment

Use Stabil next time
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

It aint the gas-ran thru a tank or 2 since then (unless JT is buying crapgas and I know he aint), plus I replaced the fuel/water separator and I don't think I intook any dyed shrimp from Clark08 or GHSmacker, so pretty sure it's the choke.

Trying to find out if it's electric choke-if it is, then spraying 10 cans of gumout won't do sheeet.

If it's them GD dyed shrimps, wait til I run into them guys-I'll pm WestBayCrabber (he's my bud ya know) and have him run through dana's first thing at sunrise looking for "atm" shirts and caps!!
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Robalo...does it have a EIM(?) Electronic ignition module? probably not since its carbed...but if that isn't getting the full 12v it could act up. I had similiar issue and was assured by one mechanic that it was my ignition, when it actually all it was was a bad connection from my battery to my engine...was getting maybe 10v due to corrosion. New cables and sucker ran like a scalded ape and no issue with starting, backfiring or anything. Course, now I have a new ignition too!
          Don't be a Nancy!
          If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Carb jets plugged. Choke is doing what is supposed to do. Put some Sheeit through the gas and see. 2+4 fuel conditioner or seafoam. Last time I worked on a carbed outboard I put carb kits in it and then had to get them synchronized. Worked fine after that and still is after about 10/12 years.
            Beandaddy

Comment

Added seafoam after spraying down the carbs with gumout. Ran some saturday in the wind but not too much-did seem to show some improvement. Will run it hard this coming weekend and add more seafoam.

Thanks all.

Comment

If you use to much of that stuff you will cook your power head, so be careful and follow the directions .... ahh what am I saying ..... pour that crap in their and push some wakes in that canal
                FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Ever get this lined out?

Comment

Working...
                  X