12ft Kayak VS. 15ft Kayak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12ft Kayak VS. 15ft Kayak?

What's a better kayak a used nice Ocean Kayak Prowler 15 w/ rudder or a New Tarpon 120?

I'll be using it fishing in the bays and some surf fishing. I'm worried the 15ft kayak is too long.

Are you planning on paddling long distances to get to your fishing grounds?
    You never know what the tide might bring

Comment

JFD... I'm not quite sure yet. I haven't done any LONG kayak fishing trips yet. But I wouldn't say its out of the question. I was offered a great deal on the Ocean Kayak with a rudder. I'm just worried its too long for my needs. I will use it in the surf, the bay (short or long distance), possibly taking it down some of the rivers in TX, etc.

The 12ft range kayak would probably be a better size but the 15ft is just a better buy. As I said, I just don't want to buy something too big to paddle around.

Comment

Yea I get what you're saying. Unfortunately it comes down to what you are most comfortable in and if you are fine with the price. A 15ft isn't bad, there's plenty of people using long yaks like the Tarpon 160s in both the bay and surf and not having trouble with the length. The Ocean Kayak sounds like a good deal since it comes w/ the rudder too. Plus, you have the option of making long trips if you want to. Don't forget about transporting it though. They get harder to store/transport as they get bigger. I personally have a 13.5ft Ride w/ rudder and love it. It is small enough to transport easily and it's not like long trips are totally out of the question either.

So you'd probably be fine w/ the long one, if that's your main concern. Unfortunately, it just comes down to personal opinion.
        You never know what the tide might bring

Comment

Hey Bobcat, I have a OK Trident Ultra 4.7 and it is just over 15 ft long. It is a great kayak. I had started with a 12 ft'r but wanted to upgrade and did sone research and decided this kayak had what I was looking for. I do some long distance kayaking but I also have days where I don t go far at all. It works great for both. I have a rudder on mine. Still getting use to it. Plenty of storage space which is something i needed. Love the center hatch. I haven't put a rod pod on it, not sure if I really need that though. I like having the center hatch for stuff that I can reach easily. The kayak is a little on the heavy side, BUT they make these great wheels that plug into the scupper holes. Makes getting it to the water so much easier. The wheels come apart easily for storage. Hope this helps..

Steve (the Poo)

Comment

Thanks Steve, I just got back from picking up my Ocean Kayak 15ft. I can't wait to test it out on the water. It has a rudder system, anchor trolley and rod holders already.

Comment

That is a nice yak. I am about to post pics of my yak and the things I have done to it so far (got a log ways to go). It will be under post your ride (topic). Hopefully this will give you some ideas of what you can do with it. I know I like to look at some peoples picks to get ideas. Good luck..

Comment

Big yak but I think you will like it. Better to big than to small........
                Fishwhisperer

Comment

Good choice on 15ft!I like my 15ft search.
                  I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Congrats on the yak, it should work well for you.

Comment

Good choice
                      I love mine. Bimini 15.0
                      Fast, wink
                      Finfisher

Comment

Working...
                      X