Old trolling motor wire stuck in foam. cant remove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old trolling motor wire stuck in foam. cant remove

I got a new trolling motor and need to replace the 10 gauge with heavier wire (going from 43 lb to 80 lb thrust). The boat is a Sea Hunt Navigator. It looks like at the factory they taped in trolling motor wire and then sprayed foam in over it. I've started chipping and pulling at one end because I can hear the wire clanking when I jerk on it underneath the deck. It is (hopefully) only foamed in under the bow. Anyone have any tricks that has done this? I've been picking at it for a while and feel like I'm beating a dead horse. The wire won't budge.

I've also tried running a fishing tool from under the console where the batteries are to the bow but get stuck when I get to the bow right before the plug (I'm guessing a foam wall!). I was hoping to just run a new wire on top of the foam but it looks like I wont get that lucky.

Any input is appreciated.
    XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

you could pick up one of those flexible drill bits at the hardware store, they are on the electrical isle. do you have a rigging tube from under console to up front?
    Today is a new day!!

Comment

are you trying to pull the wires through with the terminals or connections on the end?
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Dawg I'm not sure if there is conduit under the console to up front or it is just free floating wire. I will look into the flexible drill bits though thanks.

Coe I am not. But I haven't got the wire to budge an inch yet so that's not even an issue.
        XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Comment

Securely tape the fishing tool to the existing wire and get someone to push on one end and you pull on the other. It has to be in a conduit.....i would think.
          If that doesn't work seek professional help!
          "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

not sure how it will work onspray foam but gas does melt foam cups so maybe put a little around wire see if it works enough to slide wire through foam if that doesnt work light a cigarette while you pour it

Comment

Working...
            X