Where to take brother in-law fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to take brother in-law fishing?

My brother in-law is coming down from Colorado and staying at the Silverleaf Seaside Resort at 19320 San Luis Pass Rd. I am ptetty sure this is half way between Jamacia Beach and San Luis pass. I was hoping you guys could throw some ideas for good spots to wade fish and what is hot right now as far as fish, baits, etc... I have all the tackle just have not been to the Island in a long while and wanted to bring the right weapons for the right battle. Thanks a million
    It is better to beg forgivness than to ask permission.

When is he coming down?Tomorrow, next week, next month...that could make a difference.
    On second thought...just hire Aqua Pimp and let him take you out. A lot of good places along the South shoreline but not accessible without a boat. Gregs a good guy, y'all will have fun.
    Last edited by FlatoutFishin; March 23, 2009, 09:37 PM.
    Don't be a Nancy!
    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

First of all welcome to Fishwestend.
      Depending on when he comes down will be the key. The surf will be turning on pretty soon and may be your best bet if the wind ain't howling out of the south. But what I would do is drive down to the pass and wade the bay side (Galveston side) of the bridge. You can never count out free linning shrimp near the deeper channels of the pass with the incomming tide. Always effective. Artificals I would start off with topwater aslong as there is surface bait activity. Soft plastic baits such as Bass Assassins rigged in 1/8 or 1/16 ounce lead heads are very deadly. Spoons can be great at the pass too. I would personaly start out with a topwater myself. Black She Dog with a chartreuse head or chartruse back and belly with pearl sides early, blue back and chrome She Dog or bone chrome She Dog mid morning to all day. Bone Super Spook Jr, is a getter too. Just pay attention and look for nervous or rafting Mullet and also be on the lookout for slicks. The smaller the slick the fresher it is. They will lead you to feeding fish.

Just use alot of caution anywhere around the pass. Some of the guts are deeper since Ike and the tides can be very dangerous. Be very careful.

AQUA PIMP
      AQUA PIMP......
      "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

There you have it! Carry a 51 series mirrolure or two as well...

Oh yeah...and watch out for them real toothy fish!
        Attached Files
        Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Huntjunkie
          If your not familiar with the pass I would not advise any wading in the area I circled in red. I am very familiar with the pass and I still don't wade within the area in red. I had a bad experience in one of these areas in red 6 or 7 years ago. That gut I circled in yellow is where I would concentrate on when driving in to that area. The gut is deep so don't try and wade across it. On a hard moving tide even standing on the edge can be dangerous as the fast moving current can wash the sand out from under your feet causing you to slip off of the edge. This is what happen to me one cold February morning. Work lures on the edges of these guts. Some of the smaller guts around this deeper gut can be waded across just wade through them slowly! Baby steps... These deeper guts and shallow guts are Trout super highways that fish travel and use as ambush points. Trout will hangout and wait for the tides to push bait off of the shallow flats or sanbars into these guts and channels were they will get hammered by predator fish.

Good luck

AQUA PIMP
          Attached Files
          Last edited by aqua pimp; March 24, 2009, 01:09 AM.
          AQUA PIMP......

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Good advice right there AP. You mind if I elaborate? God, I'm bored!

Follow my baby blue track to nirvana!
            Attached Files
            Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Thats it! The walk of success right there. I'm about to fall asleep up here LOL

AQUA PIMP
              AQUA PIMP......

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Originally posted by aqua pimp View Post
                Thats it! The walk of success right there. I'm about to fall asleep up here LOL

AQUA PIMP
                Only two things thats keeping me excited...my last graveyard, and I got iced and ready!
                Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Thank you very much for the input. I have fished San Luis pass Gulf side a few times. I will follow your advice. They will be in town next weekend for one week. Aqua Pimp we are a little tight right now but I will not forget your kindness next time I am looking for a guide (which I do about twice a year). Thank you.

Comment

AP and FoF gave you some good info.

Hey FoF...i love that color in 51mr. I've caught several surf run trout on that bait.
                    "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

No problem! Go have fun, be safe, & go catch some fish

AQUA PIMP
                      AQUA PIMP......

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by GHSmacker View Post
                          AP and FoF gave you some good info.

Hey FoF...i love that color in 51mr. I've caught several surf run trout on that bait.
                          Thats a friend from Delaware. I took him down there 2 years ago, and didn't warn him about the sharks. I didn't want to get him all worked up for nothing and I was afraid he wouldn't go wade. he had a good surprise when that fish hit and it was about 5 ft in front of him and that shark busted that fish...needless to say, he moved up shallow after that. He screamed just like a little girl!
                          Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Now that funny. I don't care who you are.

Comment

Looking on google earth Silverleaf Resort is on the bay side of the road inbetween Maggies point and McAllis point. Anyone know if those areas are productive and/ or safe?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X