8 hp boat around SLP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 hp boat around SLP

Has anyone tried using 8hp boat around SLP?

Originally posted by redeemed View Post
    Has anyone tried using 8hp boat around SLP?
    I used an 8 hp Johnson on a 14' deep & wide jon boat for years there and all over West bay.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Just please wear a PFD & don't go out into the Gulf. We hear too many horror stories of inexperienced boaters / ill-prepared. Not saying you are one of them but things happen in a blink of an eye & you don't have much freeboard on a jon boat.
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
        Just please wear a PFD & don't go out into the Gulf. We hear too many horror stories of inexperienced boaters / ill-prepared. Not saying you are one of them but things happen in a blink of an eye & you don't have much freeboard on a jon boat.
        x2 amen to that coe alot can happen on the water in a hurry i been there!
        MANVEL MOB

Comment

that's great advice! thank you everyone.

Comment

Stay in the bayside and close to the shorelines (heck, that's where the fish are anyways). You should be able to run all over Cold pass, XMas, etc. staying near protected shorelines.
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

if any of you are going soon, would you let me know?

Comment

I'm out there all the time. I use an 8 horse quite often. It's my kicker though. Plenty of people out there in boats like that, but use common sense and it's a gooooood idea to have backup power in the form of oars or a trolling motor. A single paddle may be regulation, but it won't get you anywhere. I ran my skiff all around there with a 3.5 horse. I'll shoot you my phone number. I'll be out there a lot over the next month and if I'm not around I know a lot of people that are if you get in a tough situation.

Make sure you have a good anchor with about 50 feet of line. Just in case, that could save your butt by keeping you where you are and you have a tow rope if you need it. I'll be out there Sun-Wed if the weather is right.
                From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Coach is easy to recognize. He has the custom engine cover on the kicker.

Comment

B&P, where that motor??

Comment

Custom engine cover??? Used to have one with a Confederate Battle Flag on the cover, but this one's an 8 horse Nissan stock. This is the one I almost sold you B. Pappa talked me out of it and I'm running it a lot now. You ever get one?
                      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

I got a 4Hp that needs a little love but I think we got it covered. Water pump is acting up; if it don't straighten out I'm gonna take away it's allowance.

Comment

LMAO! Bring it to gregr1971 in Liverpool. He'll straighten it out for you for sure. I bring all mine to him. He does top notch work for seriously low prices.

Comment

Watch out for big ships and bardges they throw a big wake

Comment

I used to fish around the bridge on a 14' arkansas rambler with a 5hp briggs. It had a 45lb trolling motor for backup though. I launched it right from the beach when I had a 4x4.

The tide really moves through there.

The bridge was the closest I would get to the gulf though. I did go into the bay though.

Comment

Working...
                              X