Gigging Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigging Help

Guys I will down in Terramar starting the 5th of June and will be there about a week. I was looking at getting some help with gigging. I have a boat 17 ft flatbottom center console, gig and light but have never been. I will down there with the family and kids but would like to get together with somebody to kinda show me the ropes. Not looking for any secret spots. I will be there all week so if anyone wants to get together to fish let me know. Shoot me a pm if you want to get together or have any advice. Thanks guys.

Have you ever been before or will this be your first time?
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

This will be a first. So looking to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by JVODE View Post
        This will be a first. So looking to learn.
        You need to go out with someone that can show you what to look for. It takes a trained eye but once you learn to dismiss most things & focus on what your looking for you'll start getting in the zone.

The wind is making it tough to cover good area most of the areas right now & especially after this weekend have been covered pretty good.

Focus on protected areas & I have gigged flounder in 4" of water before.

Comment

Hot Spots maps of West Bay should also help you to narrow down to specific areas...
          sigpic

Comment

Understand that if you do this and are successful in gigging a few that you will be ruined for life...you've been warned.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
            Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Originally posted by 2112 View Post
              Understand that if you do this and are successful in gigging a few that you will be ruined for life...you've been warned.
              Too late
              Resident Ninja

Comment

I still haven't made the point of no return, but you've already got me looking for bamboo gigs!! LOL
                Last edited by Curmudgeon; May 31, 2011, 01:12 PM.
                "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Careful Curm...the road to recovery can be long and winter withdrawals are horrifying.

When I spoke of bamboo gigs it was in the context of using them as boat gigs. For people that are wading, the gigs that can be gotten from Academy will work just fine but a boat gig is around 9ft and they need to be stout because the gig doubles as a push-pole thus it becomes very important that the gig is strong and because it will sometimes be carried through out the night it has to also be light in weight. This is where a 9ft bamboo gig as no peer.
                  Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
                    I still haven't made the point of no return, but you've already got me looking for bamboo gigs!! LOL
                    LOL...let me know if you find any.

Comment

I have found 10 bamboo gigs & I will be building ALL of them & selling them at my cost.

Some will have barb B&M gig heads others will have all thread

Bert, you can come over during project time & help assist

Comment

LOL...let me know if you find any.
                        I was gonna say that I'd try to make my own untill I saw WEA's post. I'm pretty crafty. Let me know if y'all need an extra hand.

Anyway, I would think bamboo would be superior to anything else on a short gig as well.
                        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Coe.

Reserve 2 for me.
                          A better barbed gig-head is from the "Sea Striker" company if its not to late.
                          I abuse the crap out of my gigs and although the B&M's are attractive they are of inferior materials and build quality.
                          You will note when you get them that the entire head is made from ferrous metals and the point where it all ties together as a assembly that it is spot welded.

We made a desperate last minute attempt using a painters extending paint pole and a B&M gig head and before putting it together noticed the head looked entirely to week to be used as a push pole boat gig so we knocked off the old paint and re-welded the gig head
                          to make it stout enough to double as a push pole

You're results may vary and I will still take 2.

The sea strikers are beefy and made of stainless steel.

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                            I have found 10 bamboo gigs & I will be building ALL of them & selling them at my cost.

Some will have barb B&M gig heads others will have all thread

Bert, you can come over during project time & help assist
                            If I am off I would very much like to come over to help and learn. I am going to have to learn to make my own since these are in short supply in any free market.
                            I just took a better look at my gigs and they are 10ft. They also are of carbon steel and are starting to rust so after some time they will need to be replaced.

I'm in.

I will look for a link to the exact Sea Striker gig heads I am referring to in a later post. Were did you find suitable bamboo?

Comment

I can't seem to link the page but it's easy enough to find if you do a search under the company name. Sorry.
                              Last edited by 2112; May 31, 2011, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X