Never touched a fly rod before!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never touched a fly rod before!!

I would love to get into some saltwater fly fishing!!! I have no idea where to begin. Where should i start? What is some good equiptment? What size equiptment would equal about a 3000 spinning reel on a M rod?

I would look into a 7 or 8 weight fly rod. I bought my starter (saltwater fly setup) from Bass Pro its the Gold Cup IV and I actually really like it.

I have 3 other Orvis reels that are very nice but my all around rod is that Bass Pro $350-400 combo

I have a 6,7, 9 & 11
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Head over to Bass Pro. They've got some nice cheap setups for starters and they're helpful if you ask them anything. Like WestEndAngler said, a 7 or 8 is good for inshore fly fishing.
      You never know what the tide might bring

Comment

pm popfly he may be able to locate some stuff
        MANVEL MOB

Comment

TPWD Go Fishing (Learn-to Fish Event at Texas State Parks) is having a Fly Fishing Clinic, Saturday, June 28, 9:00-12:00 PM.
          A FREE event for ages 12 and up, on Basis Fly Fishing: instruction in casting, fly tying,knots,safety,fish identification and conversation awareness. Taught by Rockport Fly Fishers and sponsored by Swan Point Landing,Orvis authorized dealer in Rockport. All equipment will be provided. Take away a fishing fun pack and door prizes.
          Class is limited to 24 at Goose Island State Park, Rockport,Texas.
          "Team Waist Deep"

Comment

Wow thanks guys!! I have been wanting to learn some of this stuff. I am going on a bonefishing trip to the abacos in August and I would really like to be able to catch some on a fly too.

That clinic is definitely something to think about.

What are some pretty top notch brands? The reason I ask is that I always spend a small initial amount of money on new hobbies (cough cough RELOADING) and then in about 2 weeks I want the best thing avail but I just wasted my 200 or so bucks on the first one.

I know im going to love it so I would like to just start with something great.

Comment

Juust go to any fly shop & they will give you a good schooling on what you need-Bass Pro, FTU, Orvis,Anglers Edge are a few good places to start. The main thing is alot of practice when you first start out, get an instructor to help you out casting so you dont form bad habits that will be hard to break later on. Then there is fly tying,making your own patterns & catching on them is a blast.
              Today is a new day!!

Comment

Originally posted by Keller View Post
                TPWD Go Fishing (Learn-to Fish Event at Texas State Parks) is having a Fly Fishing Clinic, Saturday, June 28, 9:00-12:00 PM.
                A FREE event for ages 12 and up, on Basis Fly Fishing: instruction in casting, fly tying,knots,safety,fish identification and conversation awareness. Taught by Rockport Fly Fishers and sponsored by Swan Point Landing,Orvis authorized dealer in Rockport. All equipment will be provided. Take away a fishing fun pack and door prizes.
                Class is limited to 24 at Goose Island State Park, Rockport,Texas.
                there ya go Great info Keller
                MANVEL MOB

Comment

I would spend a couple dollars more at Bass Pro and buy a TFO fly rod, will cast much better and has a lifetime warranty. You will find it very worthwhile to find a qualified casting instructor and take at least one lesson before hitting the Bahamas. Unless you are in schools of little bones, they will require some casting skill to catch. Call Marcos at Orvis Houston, or if you are available on the south side of Houston I might be able to help. Good luck!! You will love fly fishing.
                  http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Mudskipper just sent me a link to the Orvis fly fishing 101 Free classes: http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=8249
                    You'll get to try it for free with top notch gear. Check it out and good luck. Fly fishing is the next thing I want to get into as well!
                    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Thank yall so much. I am really exited to get into the sport. I want to flyfish our galveston backwaters as well.

Comment

What do yall think about this setup for the beginner? http://www.fishingtackleunlimited.co.../FTU-FW-P.html

I want the 4 piece 8wt so I can take it on a plane.

Comment

Looks good for a starter outfit.
                          Today is a new day!!

Comment

Working...
                          X