I'd like to try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd like to try

I've been wanting to try to go gigging since I joined the site. I want to learn how but I have no gear and no clue where to start. Being out for the summer frees my schedule.
    Yeah, and all the muchachas they call me big pappa, when I throw pesos their way!

Go to academy. Buy a 2 prong gig, an underwater light, a deer feeder battery (12V) & a charger. A good fanny pack will hold your battery, OFF, keys, personal gear etc. I clip my stringer to the belt.

Very easy. Go light the more stuff you carry the more you have to haul around...

I once hauled 2 batteries then realized I could just go one direction then come back grab a new battery & try somewhere else.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Austin, I have a quality 2 pronged gig at the camp. It's never been used. It's yours if you want it. I'll bet Yan could show you a thing or 2 about gigging.
      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
        Go to academy. Buy a 2 prong gig, an underwater light, a deer feeder battery (12V) & a charger. A good fanny pack will hold your battery, OFF, keys, personal gear etc. I clip my stringer to the belt.

Very easy. Go light the more stuff you carry the more you have to haul around...

I once hauled 2 batteries then realized I could just go one direction then come back grab a new battery & try somewhere else.

Do you like your underwater light better than a double mantle Power house lantern or have you compaired them? I made a 12 volt rig and it gave good visability up close, but didn't have much range. The Colman I use with (Texsport radioactive) mantles allows me to see a fish sometimes up to 15' away.
        Just asking. Not trying to be rude. The light at Academy could be better than the one I made using a halogen car headlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Root Canal View Post
          Do you like your underwater light better than a double mantle Power house lantern or have you compaired them? I made a 12 volt rig and it gave good visability up close, but didn't have much range. The Colman I use with (Texsport radioactive) mantles allows me to see a fish sometimes up to 15' away.
          Just asking. Not trying to be rude. The light at Academy could be better than the one I made using a halogen car headlight.
          It's made using a car headlight... PVC for someone over 6' the PVC tube should be extended but it works great. I have 4 that need re-wiring or new bulbs.

Personally I think you get less glare with underwater light then you do a lantern. Granted your eyes adjust to either but its all personal preference.
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I agree. Personal preference makes sense.

Comment

I like the lantern ,put the car light is just as good.
              10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Working...
              X