Offshore Report Sunday the5th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offshore Report Sunday the5th

Went out Sunday AM with Mark Sloan of Jamaica Beach. We hit the pass by 5:45 so were able to make pretty good time heading out on average 28 mph. Water color was suprisingly off color it seemed to us. Couldn't see as deep as usual. We set up on a reef that has held fish in the past and it did not disappoint. We both pulled up snapper on the first drop with mine being a throwback and Mark's going in the box. We were able to keep this pace up using sardines as bait as long as we wanted to...caught countless number of throwback snaps and threw back many keepers as well with the limits so small.

I floated a sardine in the current and set the rod down. After maybe fifteen minutes the reel started screaming as a nice king grabbed it and had two spectacular jumps before slipping the hook. Mark floated out a line as well and we each had a couple more hits. We also each caught decent sized shark going nearly 5 feet each.

Closer in we came upon some island looking weedlines. Actually using the word "lines" is a misnomer. They were about 4-5 acres in circumference. Not too much activity that we could see but there will be.

Other fish you see in the pic is a 26" redfish and two gulf trout we managed to find sniffing around a couple other places.

All in all a good trip. Weather was nice however the wind did pick up throughout the day. Only saw a couple other boats out there.

One lost fish story. I baited a LARGE piece of skip jack and put it on bottom. Was jigging it every so often when something grabbed it. This fish pulled about as strong as any I have ever hooked out there. It took off in one direction and then back again the way it came from peeling line the entire time. I had no chance at all. We did not have an anchor bouy so we just watched helplessly as this big boy was apt to spool me. What saved my line was when he darted to the bouy line and then turned the corner around it breaking my line. Wished I could seen what it was but truly I had no shot with that fish with the gear I was using. Exciting though and that's the kind of fish experience that keeps me going back out there time and time again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	June_2011_062[1].JPG
Views:	1
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	569356
    sigpic

I love being spooled... Great report
    NoBama

Comment

Thanks for the report!
      fish caller

Comment

Nice report and catch,congrats
        Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by PasadenaMan View Post
          I love being spooled... Great report
          Hey Josh, We had a great day Saturday but the kicker was at the end when my toughest guy hooked one of the 8' Hammerheads that had been playin around close to us. It was a heck of a battle! Great report Baby Tran Cat. What size tackle were you using for this encounter? You are sure correct about the things that keep us goin back! You gotta love it! I know I do.
          I was raised by an old Cowboy, therefore I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mstrelectricman View Post
            What size tackle were you using for this encounter? .
            Shimano Tekata reel on a 6 foot all star offshore rod...forgot the model name of the rod...med action...great for bull red, kings, etc...line was 40lb
            sigpic

Comment

Looks like you guys really enjoyed yourselves! Thanks for sharing!
              Whatever it is,good or bad, God knows! Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Sounds like an awesome trip......I have got to make my first offshore trip this summer!
                sigpic
                Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Good report!
                  Don't be a Nancy!
                  If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Nice catch. Thanks for the report.
                    You never know what the tide might bring

Comment

nice, way to fill the freezer

Comment

Great Report!
                        Resident Ninja

Comment

WTG Brad and Mark!! I saw the fish-good job. Mark said you had prolly a huge sow snap that busted the line-gee, I hate when that happens.
                          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                          X