Dont be lazy...just a reminder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont be lazy...just a reminder

In my lethargy after a nap last night I ventured downstairs to the tackle box to rig up my gear for my surf fishing trip this am. I got distracted at the top of the stairs by some nice shadows in green light. Grabbed the 4 weight rod becasue it already had a streamer on it. STUPID STUPID STUPID. Once atop the light, literally on top of it on my neighbors pier, I realized that I was lookin down on a big ol nasty trout smash a coulple o minnows. In my giddy little re/tard haste it never ever occurred to me that given the environment I should return to the tackle box and get the 8 weight with alot heavier line and faster reel. Strip off some line let it rip and let it settle right atop the water in the middle of the light. Whammo. The big girl which was likely 12-13 pounds inhales it (less depreciation, excitement, and fish story ability Id make an honest guess that it was 5-6lbs). Off into the dark she pulls all the line off the pier and gets tot eh spool and has a fairy tale time with that as im tryn to figure out how to reel as fast as possible with the stupid little goofy backwards reel and pull line all in one. "What a mess of things" would have been a good title to this thread in retrospect. So of course you can all imagine how it ended.....line stops all together and I real up the taunt line right down to the boathouse piling its wrapped around. Sonuva buck the big one got away. Would have been my PB by far on a fly. SO moral of story is dont be lazy and take the time to make sure you got the right setup for your application. You never know when the big'un is gunna share some time with you.
    Andros Tarpon 26

7 wt minimum for me when saltwater fishing. All 3 of my personal best trouts 30" 31" & 33" have all been on fly & on the underwater lights
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Sorry Cody! Been there..
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Yup Coe you said it I know better but I had been in a very deep sleep
        Andros Tarpon 26

Comment

I bet she'll be there tonight. Im takin a net and my friggin pig slayin gear this aint over
          Andros Tarpon 26

Comment

So, what time tonite? I need to knock the dust off my fly rod.
            Today is a new day!!

Comment

what a drag get your equipment rite and try again! good luck
              MANVEL MOB

Comment

Bummer, better luck tonight!
                You never know what the tide might bring

Comment

Working...
                X