• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Open at Congressional

Headed up to DC on Monday with one of my players/students "Ryan Nelson"
    He qualified for the US Open at the Georgia sectional with rounds of 66 66

I will be acting caddie/coach for the week

Anybody been to our Nation's Capitol? any suggestions? Doubtful we will have much time away from the course, restaurant suggestions etc.

never been to DC but good luck with your player. Hope he does good out there.

Comment

Good luck.Congrats to your student and you
      Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Good luck to you and I will watch a little to see how you and the student does.

Comment

Congrats! Sounds like he's got a good coach!

My 8 year old daughter is headed up there in a couple weeks to get an award. If you find anyplace good let me know.
          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Perhaps unfortunate, but I travel there several times a month. The politics are not always pleasant, but it is a remarkable city if you like US history and traditions. Walk the Mall and see Lincoln (read the Gettysburg address on the side wall), then shed a tear at the Vietnam Memorial, walk over to the Korean War memorial and then walk up the Mall toward the Washington Momument. On the way you will pass the WW II Memorial and it is remarkable because most everyday, particularly on weekends, the area is packed with elderly WW II veterans. Stop and ask a few of them to tell you their stories. Of course the Smithsonian Museums are all free admission and the Air and Space Museum and Museum of American History are all good stops and right along the Mall. Walk past the White House to the Williard Hotel, where the word Lobbyist was first used and right next door is the old Ebbits Grill--a good hamburger spot. Takes a few hours if you have a chance and worth the trip. Hopefully, you first win at the golf tournament.

Comment

Good luck out there Neil......We need to go chase some of those big bucketmouths when you get back!
              sigpic
              Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Originally posted by rha View Post
                Perhaps unfortunate, but I travel there several times a month. The politics are not always pleasant, but it is a remarkable city if you like US history and traditions. Walk the Mall and see Lincoln (read the Gettysburg address on the side wall), then shed a tear at the Vietnam Memorial, walk over to the Korean War memorial and then walk up the Mall toward the Washington Momument. On the way you will pass the WW II Memorial and it is remarkable because most everyday, particularly on weekends, the area is packed with elderly WW II veterans. Stop and ask a few of them to tell you their stories. Of course the Smithsonian Museums are all free admission and the Air and Space Museum and Museum of American History are all good stops and right along the Mall. Walk past the White House to the Williard Hotel, where the word Lobbyist was first used and right next door is the old Ebbits Grill--a good hamburger spot. Takes a few hours if you have a chance and worth the trip. Hopefully, you first win at the golf tournament.
                Thanks for the great info

Comment

Arlington National Cemetery Dont miss it!! Changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier.
                  Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

I go to DC frequently for biznez, also Mrs. Oleander was raised there and has family in the area. Where will you be staying? Hopefully near a Metro stop, that's the most convenient way to get around.

If I have a half day free I'll usually try to take in a sight along the Mall, like the National Art Museum or Smithsonian Museum of American history (which was just renovated). In this museum they have the Bolivar lighthouse lense on display.

PM me your plans and I'll pass on some of what I know in that area.
                    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by corndog View Post
                      Arlington National Cemetery Dont miss it!! Changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier.
                      Originally posted by Oleander Kayaker View Post
                      I go to DC frequently for biznez, also Mrs. Oleander was raised there and has family in the area. Where will you be staying? Hopefully near a Metro stop, that's the most convenient way to get around.

If I have a half day free I'll usually try to take in a sight along the Mall, like the National Art Museum or Smithsonian Museum of American history (which was just renovated). In this museum they have the Bolivar lighthouse lense on display.

PM me your plans and I'll pass on some of what I know in that area.
                      Thanks fellas, pm coming when I figure it out

Comment

It looks like nwilkins student made the cut and is currently in the top 10 keep it up!
                        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Thanks for the update!
                          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Looks like he missed the cut, but that is a heck of acomplishment to qualify for the Open. Hopefully he'll be back many more times.

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
                              It looks like nwilkins student made the cut and is currently in the top 10 keep it up!
                              My bad!! I had the ryans mixed up still great accoplishment to even qualify wtg!!
                              MANVEL MOB

Comment

Working...
                              X