468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving back to houston weighing my boat options!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving back to houston weighing my boat options!

I am moing back to houston in a bit less than a year im landlocked in waco right now.

At one point i had a kenner vision 21 and i have learned some things. I want a boat that is manageable by myself, i need something that i am not afraid to run shallow, i need something that tows effeciently.

So i am looking at ranger banshee extremes, specifically the loaded ones that people win in tournaments and sell for sub 19k. It looks extremely comfortable for one or 2 anglers and apperantly can run really shallow. I have also been toying with the idea of a jet pump lower unit.

Does anyone run one of these? Expirence with one? How is the 60 horse 4 stroke yamaha?

I am just thinkin about boats now nothing is certain. I am also a little interested in bevertails and mitzis.

For West Bay, I say look at Shoalwater.

Remember you lose a buncha horsepower with a jet pump. If I remember correctly, they do not play well with sand. There's a lot of that around SLP.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Panga 18-19 duh......jk I love my panga it does galveston bay system so well it should be outlawed so I gotta rep them....they almost always seem to have a lightly used ranger banshee on craigslist or 2cool (TOS) for sale for some reason...makes me wonder why but they are cool lookin
      Andros Tarpon 26

Comment

That mpg sucks!!! Im definately going with a prop. The thought was to have both lowers and just swap them whenever i need more speed and distance or shallow water performance. That ranger only has an 18 gallon tank 2 mpg is out of the question.

Comment

tell me about it , I have a 18 ft kenner that the coast guard put a 90 hp limit on it, that is not enough when you have three people gear and full tank, average is around 1.8 miles to the gallon, I'm thinkin about having it bored out to a 115-120 so that way the cowling still says 90 !
          I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

I would just put whatever on it and peel the stickers off the engine. I considwred also selling the 60 4 stroke for a 90 2 stroke yammy. It would only be like 15 lbs heavier.

Comment

not 100% sure but it says on the coast guard sticker/panel maximum hp 90hp so u prob can
              I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

16' Tran baby cat

Comment

I think it has to do with the liability portion of boat insurance. I doubt just a 30 or so bump would matter. You could tell them its going to be a jet outboard and say its the equivilant to a 90. Progressive will insure a slightly overpowered boat.

Now those jackasses that try to put twin 300s on the back of their 24 footer could probably be held VERY liable for any one they crash into or hurt.

I only really care about hitting some submerged object and breaking something or sinking the boat in big chop and loosing fishing gear, not really concerned about hitting another boat nor am I concerned that I need any kind of personal injury insurance. It will likely only go 42-43 with a 90 anyway.

So id need the screw my own boat up and fishing equipment policy.

Comment

Working...
                  X