My view and tactics of East Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My view and tactics of East Bay

Ive seen a few people asking about East Bay lately so i figured i would give mty view in it, I am not a guide or professional fisherman so if anyone would like to critique this feel free, this is just my view from what I have learned from fishing it in my ripe old 24 years of age.
    I will focus on March through October since the other months you can find me in a deer stand.

Early spring is usually pretty tough the winds are starting to come in so I will stick to the south shoreline, there are many pockets and grass beds to focus on and there are miles of it to fish, for artificials this time of year I will throw touts and saltwater assasins, play witht the color choice till you find one that works water color does play into effect but they are cheap so stock up on different colors and give it a shot, I typically throw 1/16-1/8 oz jig heads, but fishing during changing tides i will switch to a little heavier to help with movement. Rollover pass is good this time of year but that is a place you will have to talk to someone else about I am still learning it.
    i pretty much follow that pattern through the windy months.

When you get into late may early June when the winds start dying is the best, on weekends I once again start off early morning on the shoreline mostly chasing slicks and if its not on Jump in your boat and head out to the many drifting reefs, Hanna's is one of the most known so on weekends it is usually overfished and someone always thinks your too close to them so if you can catch a day during wed-friday is the best times cause it has been mostly undisturbed, and there is lady's pass another well knoen but usually not overfished and is typically good for a few trout. If the winds are still down during the middle of the day, Smith's point and Richards Reef are always good during the middle of the day, usually the bite is slow but the Trout are quality fat. The Bird Island is another good producer of hefty trout if you can stand the smell the most productive lure I have ever used in this place is the black and gold broken back, or blue and chrome rattle trap. follow this pattern on through mid September.

september through October is a fun time to chase reds and flounder, one of my favorite spots is yates bayou, on high tide you can run all the way back uo in there I do it in my 18 Kenner but you better head out before low tide comes in or have plenty of beer, the best startegy for this place is to load a kyak in your boat anchor at the mouth and yak in, it goes for a long ways with many drop offs and deep holes, I like to fish these drop offs with a white tout, slowly dragging from deep to shallow, flounder killer, then you always have Big Pasture right around the shoreline to the north, Fish it the same way dont get caught on low tide. Also during the months try the south sshoreline by seivers cut

another cool thing is during any of these months if nothing is popping anywhwere, enter the ICW at the ship chanel or rollover pass and just cruise down it at about twenty miles an hour and watch for redfish swirls it is fun to target in on one fish and comes with a great sense of accomplishment.

hope this helps someone in some way I am always willing to learn more from anyone who wants there input on this it would be greatly appreciatted, the spots mentioned are on any hot spot map, but if you dont have access to one let me know I have no problem telling you where they are or how to get there you can typically find me out there on any weekend and usually have at least one spot open on the boat so as long as your not a doosh your welcome aboard but if you are a doosh i will drive to the nearest spot where your feet can touch and leave you to watch me drive away drinking your beer lol

good luck and tight lines guys
    I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Nice info and well described. It's enough to make me wish I had a boat! I may have to take you up on that open spot some day!
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Thanks, welcome on the boat ill let you know next time i am headin out

Comment

and also the stingaree cut during the fall months is usually good for reds, and at the entrance of the ICW by the ship channel is a rock face that is good if not messed up by the dredging

Comment

if anyone has any advice on Rollover Pass I would appreciate if you throw it in here not lookin for honey holes cause i like finding them but any advice on best tides and water color would be great !!

Comment

Originally posted by Reef Drifter View Post
            Thanks, welcome on the boat ill let you know next time i am headin out
            I'll have to work on my non-doosh behavior!!

Comment

or be a good swimmer lol

Comment

I may have to wear my PFD!

Comment

That is a good writeup, thanks for taking the time to share.

Comment

anytime !

Comment

Thanks for giving away all my spots!!!

Good info!
                      Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by PBD539 - Shoal Patrol View Post
                        Thanks for giving away all my spots!!!

Good info!
                        Shawn

u and every one with a hot spot map !!! hahaha

Comment

when are we going?

Comment

when you tell me what happened last weekend thats only for the privileged haha

Comment

Good stuff...thanks for sharing . East bay is my favorite....wild and no housing . I have done more kayak than wade fishing it .
                              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
                              X