Cold Pass Fishing Area/Directions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Pass Fishing Area/Directions

I'm not sure if this is how you spell it, but does anyone fish Titalum Tatum near Cold Pass?

I've put in one time at Cold Pass at the park there and it was ridiculously windy that day. Between the wind and the boats zipping by, do you have to cross that big section of bay to get to there or is there a secret?

I want to fish it this weekend but not it the winds going to be bad and crossing that open bay is the only way.

Also, is there a spot to park and put in besides the park? I noticed some areas on the side of the road on the way there from Surfside but I wasn't sure if you could park there or not.

Thanks

you have to cross that section of bay coming out the park. you can park at what use to be or still is Earnie's. That's a popular kayak launch spot. Its across the street from access #6 before you make it all the way to the park.

Comment

you can park just about anywhere in surfside with no problems.
      the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Is it worth fighting the wind to paddle over there, or should I say back to the ramp? Or should I just fish the island side?

Comment

You have to cross Cold Pass to get to TT. The KOA park is the closest access, you will probably be fighting the winds on the way back, not on the way out (at least this time of year).

Comment

I paddled around there a couple of weeks ago but did not go across to TT. The bay was rough so paddling perpendicular to the waves seemed impossible to do at the time. Possibly this weekend will be better?

Comment

It really shouldn't too bad. Unless the wind is coming from the NEish direction, there shouldn't be enough fetch to build up bad chop, even in ~15knot winds.

Once you get into TT, it will all be protected. There are some good reds and flounder up in there.

The other spot Gibby told you about (Earnie's, I call it the condos, it is across from condos on the beach-side of bluewater hwy) is a good launch too. It will be crowded on a weekend (get there early), but where the bayou drains into X-mas can be good on an incoming. Shorter paddle too, and protected from all S. wind directions.

Comment

Tit'lum-Tat'lum is a nice place.
                Be aware that it is quite a paddle to the other end. The other end has three outlets.
                Launch at the Brite Lite cove, beach by bridge, or SLP park.
                As you enter the mouth there are two small sloughs that enter along the right bank. A small one maybe 100meters inside the mouth, another somewhat larger one another 150meters or so farther on. I've caught some nice flatties and reds here. Along here the main channel runs along the side with the sloughs. Boats will come by at speed. Don't panic just stay up near the grass.
                Farther down along the left side are a number of bay houses. Work the bank between the docks with a fish finder rig. Flounders are there sometimes.
                Be aware that the main channel here is along the side with the houses. Again don't fret about the boats. Just stasy up along the bank and you'll be fine. On the opposite bank across from the houses it is quite shallow w/ mud bottom.
                Farther down it turns to the right. The main channel is on the outside of the curve. Then it goes straight for a few hundred meters. There's one house on the right hand side. Work the bank/grass line on the right side(by the house).
                A little farther down it turns to the left. There's another slough here on the right side. Nabbed a few fish at the mouth.
                TT then goes another few hundred meters straight. At the end of this straight it splits. Stay to the left side. The main channel runs about 2/3 over on the left side then goes to center. There is a reef here at the mouth of the right split.
                You can fish here but the shell snags a lot. Boats come through here so fish usually aren't around much. I've caught some sheepies here but thats about it.
                After you pass the split, stay to the center, go down to where you see another split off to the left. DO NOT go there. Many reefs. Stay over on the right hand side. The bayou will widen slightly here. This is a great place. Be aware the channel is along the right bank to center of the bayou. Work the face of the reef and the area between the reef and you.
                Up farther ahead you will see the opening into Bastrop Bay. Stay away from the left side as there is reefs and mud. Fish around the mouth of the bayou. There's a shell reef just off to the left as you exit the mouth(there's a few old pilings there on the bank) Work that area too.
                Have caught some nice fish here.
                Going back to the first split. This also goes down and empties into Bastrop Bay. Same thing along there. Work the banks.
                The split that breaks off the main channel by the wide spot and goes off to the left empties into Christmas Bay over by the bay house with the white roof. I haven't had much luck in there except over right at the mout by the white roofed house. When you go into this slough you have to enter it over on the far right hand side(closest to Bastrop bay).
                Hope this helps.
                West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Wow, Moonpie! Great info. Bobcat, heck you can't go wrong with all that info!! Go get 'em!
                  "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by Moonpie View Post
                    Tit'lum-Tat'lum is a nice place.
                    Be aware that it is quite a paddle to the other end. The other end has three outlets.
                    Launch at the Brite Lite cove, beach by bridge, or SLP park.
                    As you enter the mouth there are two small sloughs that enter along the right bank. A small one maybe 100meters inside the mouth, another somewhat larger one another 150meters or so farther on. I've caught some nice flatties and reds here. Along here the main channel runs along the side with the sloughs. Boats will come by at speed. Don't panic just stay up near the grass.
                    Farther down along the left side are a number of bay houses. Work the bank between the docks with a fish finder rig. Flounders are there sometimes.
                    Be aware that the main channel here is along the side with the houses. Again don't fret about the boats. Just stasy up along the bank and you'll be fine. On the opposite bank across from the houses it is quite shallow w/ mud bottom.
                    Farther down it turns to the right. The main channel is on the outside of the curve. Then it goes straight for a few hundred meters. There's one house on the right hand side. Work the bank/grass line on the right side(by the house).
                    A little farther down it turns to the left. There's another slough here on the right side. Nabbed a few fish at the mouth.
                    TT then goes another few hundred meters straight. At the end of this straight it splits. Stay to the left side. The main channel runs about 2/3 over on the left side then goes to center. There is a reef here at the mouth of the right split.
                    You can fish here but the shell snags a lot. Boats come through here so fish usually aren't around much. I've caught some sheepies here but thats about it.
                    After you pass the split, stay to the center, go down to where you see another split off to the left. DO NOT go there. Many reefs. Stay over on the right hand side. The bayou will widen slightly here. This is a great place. Be aware the channel is along the right bank to center of the bayou. Work the face of the reef and the area between the reef and you.
                    Up farther ahead you will see the opening into Bastrop Bay. Stay away from the left side as there is reefs and mud. Fish around the mouth of the bayou. There's a shell reef just off to the left as you exit the mouth(there's a few old pilings there on the bank) Work that area too.
                    Have caught some nice fish here.
                    Going back to the first split. This also goes down and empties into Bastrop Bay. Same thing along there. Work the banks.
                    The split that breaks off the main channel by the wide spot and goes off to the left empties into Christmas Bay over by the bay house with the white roof. I haven't had much luck in there except over right at the mout by the white roofed house. When you go into this slough you have to enter it over on the far right hand side(closest to Bastrop bay).
                    Hope this helps.
                    wow thanks for that info MP!
                    MANVEL MOB

Comment

Moonpie, thanks for all that info. I'll give it a try next time I'm down in that area. I'm hitting up Port A this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                      X