Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two stroke vs four stroke

What do you prefer and why?

Fuel savings on the 4 stroker, but that's not necessarily the case now a days...back in 2002 when I got mine it was. I guess it's more about hole shot these days and speed...in my shallowsport I'm worried about hole shot but not the speed part so my 115 yammy is just fine with me. I did couple it with a Nedskiplate and a Baumann prop...without those two items, I really wasn't that happy with the motor.
    Don't be a Nancy!
    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

I bought a 2 stroke 90 Yamaha for the weight mainly, but it's a gas hog and buying the oil isn't cheap either. I wish I had sprung a little more for a 4.
      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Have owned a 250 Yamaha with oil injection & now a 250 HP Yamaha 4 Stroke.

The 250 is a PITA to keep clean & running (if you let it sit)

We had some early issues with fuel injector rail getting clogged, low pressure fuel pump & high pressure burned up couldn't figure out why learned it was because of a kinked fuel hose under the cowling. All warrantied & replaced at no charge to us.

We have not had an issue after replacing the kinked fuel line just did another 100 hour service and still running strong & like a top. 325 hours on that engine.

On a 22' Robalo turning 5100 RPM's we can run (full loaded) 28 MPH and get about 2.5 MPG
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

4 stoke all the way! Fuel economy, performance, and no more buying oil every other trip.

AQUA PIMP
          AQUA PIMP......
          "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

The way I am kind of feeling about this topic is the following.

2 strokes have a better hole shot and are lighter weight

4 strokes get better economy, more reliable and are quieter

It seems to me like 2 strokes are better for flats boats and 4 strokes would be better for bay/offshore.

Comment

I guess I'll speak up for the 2 strokes. I have a 70 Yami and I love it. Yes, I do have to carry oil and that can be a PITA but really how big a pain is that? In talking with a couple of mechanics lately they both said that 2 strokes were really simply and easy engines and they both suggested 2 strokes when I inquired about what they like best. Having said that, mine is a little 70 and we were discussing smaller motors. Once your in the bigger HP then 4 may be the way to go.
              sigpic

Comment

IMO 4 strokes are NOT as reliable as 2 strokes. 2 strokes have about 8 bazillion fewer parts. That means there's less to go wrong. If it has oil in the gas and it's peein', it's good to go.
                From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Think if I was planning on getting another outboard any time soon I might lean towards an E-TEC. Sure you still have to add oil but I think it's as close as your going to come to a 4 stroke but still have a 2 stroke. I think if they every stop making 2 strokes because of emission reg's the E-TEC will still be in production along side the 4 strokes. Just my thought. By the way, I run a 2 stroke, Yamaha 150 OX66 and love it.
                  A Little deeper in debt.

Comment

Some stuff to think about when Im ready to go boat shopping. Thanks guys.

Comment

I think it's a matter of personal preference-both have pluses and minuses. I have 2 strokes-always have, but those 4s are quiet and more economical gas wise, but are a little more tempermental. I wish I had 4 strokes on the Robalo and would keep the 2 stroke on my bay boat.
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I agree that it is a personal preference thing. I like my 4 stroke since it's more fuel economical and a lot quieter. However, it takes forever to fix it since it's all so digital, computerized, and jam packed in there. Didn't have the boat for most of last summer because the boat was in Humble since they needed to run "computer diagnostics" on the engine. It's hard to be your own mechanic on these 4 strokes.
                        You never know what the tide might bring

Comment

That is why i will be going with a 2 stroke.

Comment

I think the direct injected 2 strokes(Optimax, Etecs, HPDI) are just about as economical as the 4 strokes these days...I run a 150 Optimax on a 19ft Outrage thats to damn heavy already so I went with an 07 optimax when I replace my 1991 Blackmax...I think I doubled my fuel economy vs. the carbed motor...I burn about 7 gallons/hr at 4200 rpm (about 30 mph)...which gives me all the range I need with a 76 gallon tank...Of course I think the new 4 strokes are almost as light as the 2 strokes now too! Never had any problem with either Merc except for a gummed up fuel system that was my fault...the more you run a 2 stroke the better is works (imo).

Comment

My old 2 stroke carb merc 150 would push my 21'6" kenner vision into the 50s. That was pretty impressive to me considering the heft of a kenner. It sucked on gas though and would drain the gas out of the carb with the motor tilted up. It would need to be primed when lowered to restart.

Comment

Working...
                              X