Baffort's (sp) Bayou, anyone ever fish it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baffort's (sp) Bayou, anyone ever fish it

The little bayou, at least that was what my father and grandfather used to call it back in the early 50's, before you get to the Diversionary Canal heading West along the North shoreline of Jones Lake. It used to be deep enough to enter and fish back in there, but haven't been able to do so the last time I tried (May). Is there an entrance off the Diversionary canal, maybe off the cut heading down it toward on the right if you were heading to the boat ramp?

Did some good redfish and trout fishing within the bayou years ago and also at the mouth in Jones Lake. Sure would like to hear of an entrance since I don't live down there any longer and have limited amount of time to fish when I do get down in that area.

Thanks

I have fished it and did well a time or two...
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

If it's that little saltwater (lake) I'm thinking about it's entered thru a canal you access just south after you go under the railroad bridge after leaving Fat Boy's before entering Jones Lake. It's back up in the marshes? If that's the one, then my ole daddy used to take me up in there back years ago and I've been able to get back there only once since then. We used to go up in there in a john boat but now that I've got one of those fancy-nancy flats boats, it's too shallow for my boat. Great place to fly fish in that lake since it's shallow and you can see the reds tailin'-great sight fishing. Miss it, and my dad too.
      Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
      "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Hey SmoothMove! Is it the one I'm thinking about? You getting up in there in a shallow draft boat/motor. I got in there once and had to wait on the tide to come back in to get out. Had skeeters for lunch and dinner!
        Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
        "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Where's the best entrance to it? The Jones Lake entrance is about 2-3" on high tide if that much! Would like to fish it, but need to locate another entrance.

Comment

Originally posted by smooth move
            bassford i think. yeah, we fish it a lot, good place to duck the wind. been fishing in there for 40+ yrs. and i'm still learning!
            Thanks Smooth...thought maybe getting it from the DCanal might be the ticket.

Comment

I remember going into Bassford Bayou off Jones Lake as a kid duck hunting back in there, when it was good duck hunting back then, mid 50's to late 60's and it had a pretty good channel. I had caught some nice trout and reds back in the old Flamingo Isle road when we had our duck lease which is now part of Harborwalk, well it now contains part of the road going to and several ponds we leased.

Oh, I know about the deep mud, it was like that even back in the 60's!

Comment

bassford bayou...is my honey hole.......a great place to put the kayak in..just come down harborwalk...its a good lil paddle but once you get passed the old bird sanctuary.....its a great place for redfish.....and you will be amazed at all the tails you see.... I take my son there alot and he loves it.....good luck

Comment

Bigbill - you're putting in Bassford off the old Flamigo Isle Road where Bassford goes under it or am I wrong? I used to fish it off that road when our duck lease was at the end. If you're putting in there, you bet you have a good paddle trip all right. Not sure of the bird sanctuary though...haven't heard of one back in there, only one I know of is North Deer Island.

Caught some nice reds in there and some pretty good size alligator gar too!

Comment

Working...
                  X