468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kayak entry to fish back of Scholes Field on West Bay...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak entry to fish back of Scholes Field on West Bay...

Greetings from John!

A great kayak fishing spot is on the back side of Scholes Field and the Moody Gardens Golf Course at the end of Airway Lane in Galveston, Texas. The landing light bridge is easily accessible and provides great trout, redfish, and flounder fishing.

Enclosed is a brief 01:24 video greeting and overview of the area:

Enjoy!

John
    Last edited by WestEndAngler; July 12, 2011, 02:50 PM.
    John M. Wedergren
    Actor, Recording Artist, Teacher
    (281)-759-5019 - direct
    johnwedergren@gmail.com

Great info John, that should help out some newbies to the area... That was a good deed going out of your way to help others... Two thumbs up to ya'...
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Thank you and many blessings to you Hogie!

I appreciate your recognition and look forward to continuing to be a part of a great group of people.

Alrightee then...let's get out fisheeen'!

John
      John M. Wedergren
      (281)-759-5019 - direct
      johnwedergren@gmail.com

Comment

Your're the man. You never see folks doing things like that in hopes of teaching somebody a new place.

3 thumbs up!

Comment

Hey John, I'm a newbie to the area. That's awesome that you took the time to post this.

What's the name of that access road and do you ever fish back in that Sydnor Bayour or do you typically fish around that landing light bridge?

Comment

Hi there Shorty!

Thank you for the great compliment my friend. I enjoyed doing it!

I did get to fish...and as I stated in an early reply in a different Forum...I did fish, had perfect bait and conditions...and besides one hook up with a nice trout...ended up with a "O" for the day. I did enjoy myself thoroughly though!

John
            John M. Wedergren
            (281)-759-5019 - direct
            johnwedergren@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the great compliment and interest in fishing the Scholes Field/Sydnor Bayou area Bobcat!

I wade and kayak fish the bay side by the landing light bridge...and then floundering (gig), I walk and portage into the Sydnor Bayou area. The Sydnor Bayou access is a small canal to the right of the wading entry way...and is also good for catching bait.

I haven't giged Sydnor in about 3 years...so I don't know the current view (policy) of the Golf Course and residents on entering into that area at night. I also used to access it from the area just North of Stewart Road...but since the residential build up the area shown in the video has been my current access.

I don't remember all of the names of the roads but if you mapquest "Airway Lane" and "Travel Air Road"...and even "Scholes Field" in the 77550 zip code of Galveston...you can zoom in and find it/see it.

John
              John M. Wedergren
              (281)-759-5019 - direct
              johnwedergren@gmail.com

Comment

I found it. I'll have to give it a try. Do you typically work it with top waters? My top spot map shows it's pretty shallow most of the area.

Comment

Hey Bobcat!

I have fished the area with artificials and live bait...and unfortunately, have not used top-waters as of yet. I've been successful with all bait types...and since there is such a plethora of live bait types in the area (e.g., finger mullet, piggy perch, and small croakers) I will often catch bait and take in both arsenals (live and artificial).

If you fish topwater...let me know how it goes. I know it is a good technique...I'm just not that experienced in fishing with them.

As far as water depth: It starts shallow...and does get over 4 foot when wading straight out. There a is a cold pass that usually can be seen visually about 200 yards from shore...and is a good place to fish.

I always wear canvass wading shoes, and slide my feet when wading.

The pilings around the airport light bridge do have a few holes that drop off a foot or so...and although I wade under the structure...and stay away from the strutures when wading.

John
                  John M. Wedergren
                  (281)-759-5019 - direct
                  johnwedergren@gmail.com

Comment

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=schole...h&z=19&iwloc=A

Ever catch anything around this? Looks fishy

Comment

There are a few reefs towards the end of the landing lights on the other side along the channel, when you go under the landing lights, in between the shore & the channel there is a hole that drops down to about 12 feet but may have changed after many years. I have not fished that area for over 15 years,but is where I started wade fishing at.
                      Today is a new day!!

Comment

Stand in the Blue area and cast to the Red area. You will often see 5 or 6 waders in this spot, so it is no secret.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Greetings Root Canal!

Yes indeed...you are totally correct. Great input and post.

John
                          John M. Wedergren
                          (281)-759-5019 - direct
                          johnwedergren@gmail.com

Comment

Great post!
                            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Dear Ibtsoom:

Thank you for the kind words on the post! I enjoyed putting it together and look forward to doing more.

I look forward to meeting soon!

Have a great day...and phenomenal time out fishing.

John
                              John M. Wedergren
                              (281)-759-5019 - direct
                              johnwedergren@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X