Reel Cleaning Shopping List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reel Cleaning Shopping List

I have decided to get with the program and start cleaning and spooling my own reels. This post is not a "how to", but a request of materials you guys suggest to get the job done right.

* Cleaners?
    * Oils?
    * Brushes?
    * Swabs?

Can't help alot on this subject but can tell you "do not use cotton swaps" the fine fibers break off and cause multiple problems, never soak your reels in water or soap and water. Oil, any type works pretty well but just use tiny drops. Personally I use my wifes Sowing machine oil but wipe off as much as possible.
    Anyway thats my nickle,
    good luck..
    wd

Comment

I use Simple Green Degreaser to get most of the grime out when I first tear down. I will soak my bearings in CLR, then use a nylon brush to clean the old grease out of the gears & a q-tip to get in the tight areas. There are alot of good oils out there, I use Marvel Mystery oil,but you only need one drop in each bearing.Get some drag grease also & only apply a thin layer to both sides of drag washer. Google super tune to really make your reels scream. Make sure you keep the schematics close by just in case.
      Today is a new day!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dawg View Post
        I use Simple Green Degreaser to get most of the grime out when I first tear down. I will soak my bearings in CLR, then use a nylon brush to clean the old grease out of the gears & a q-tip to get in the tight areas. There are alot of good oils out there, I use Marvel Mystery oil,but you only need one drop in each bearing.Get some drag grease also & only apply a thin layer to both sides of drag washer. Google super tune to really make your reels scream. Make sure you keep the schematics close by just in case.
        X2 on the supertune on youtube Cordog has learned this and my stuff cast for a while now .
        10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Originally posted by buoy37 View Post
          I have decided to get with the program and start cleaning and spooling my own reels. This post is not a "how to", but a request of materials you guys suggest to get the job done right.

* Cleaners?
          * Oils?
          * Brushes?
          * Swabs?
          screwdrivers drag grease and some cold beer.
          MANVEL MOB

Comment

Mike Cubbage... Thats all you need to know...
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Mikes the man, but one thing he did teach me...alcohol...rubbing type. Soak bearing, then remove, and put in another CLEAN cup(dixie cups work great) then soak again. You'll see, small grit in the first cup, keep doing this till you see NO more grit....always using a new CLEAN cup and fresh alcohol! The alcohol will dry on its own, don't blow dry... then put small drop of oil on bearing...only one, don't soak!
              Don't be a Nancy!
              If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Good advice FoF!!
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                X