Sabine Pass Surf, July 8 & 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabine Pass Surf, July 8 & 9

A buddy at work has a place on Sabine Lake and has been promising to take me... said the surf was flat n green and the trout were in. It was our day off, so away we went... Fished four guys on Friday, but it was just me and my buddy on Saturday.

We got a late start the first morning as the island gas station was out of fuel, so we had to trailer the boat back into Port Arthur. Pop up thunderstorms offshore had the winds kicking up a bit and shifting to S-SE, away from ideal SW, but we came to fish the surf, so that's were we headed. Got to the Louisiana side surf at around 8:00 only to find 5 boats in "his spot". The water was a bit more roiled up and off color than you'd like, but it was definitely wade-able and there were pods of menhaden everywhere. We anchored up and hopped over the side in an unoccupied slot near the spot.

We "had" a bait tank full of shrimp, but something went amiss overnight and we lost most of 'em. Took what we had, alive or dead and gave it try under popping corks. In the first hour or so, bait was only producing ladyfish, hardheads and the occasional small trout. We were considering giving it up to try the lake, but it was just too fishy looking. Plus, we knew the falling tide might improve things and noticed that the other boats were leaving.

We started wading toward the spot and switched to top waters. This is when the action got fast and furious. Started picking up nice trout in the 17 to 20 inch range. Later, when the top water bite slowed down we'd switch back to the shrimp. Although slower, we manged to box a few nice reds on bait. This pattern continued until around noon, when all the boats had left except us. We were having a blast, but a thunderstorm chased us off with them still biting. We managed box almost a limit of trout along with 5 reds.

Late in the evening, while hanging out on the dock, we noticed birds working the lake nearby so we hopped in the boat and gave that a go. Quickly boxed 5 nice trout to 25" on soft plastics as the sun was going down... twas a great end to a fantastic day. We did fish for a bit under the lights, but only managed some dinks so called it a night.

Saturday we got a good early start and only found one boat in the area. The conditions were much like the day before and the same pattern in place with the fishing only getting better as the day went on. We ended up boxing a limit of trout and one nice red. We left them biting strong after tiring of catch and release on soft plastics.

This was only my second trip to the Sabine Lake area and first time to fish the surf in many years. It was certainly a blast and I will look forward to going there again soon. I may also have to try the same thing in the SLP surf if it's flat and green on my home waters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-07-09_14-44-40_560.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	569682
    "You've got to think lucky. If you fall into a mudhole, check your back pocket, you might have caught a fish" - Darrell Royal

Great post Bill!

Good job, very well written, and a great story to boot!

John
    John M. Wedergren
    Actor, Recording Artist, Teacher
    (281)-759-5019 - direct
    johnwedergren@gmail.com

Comment

You have so many fish in that picture I can't even count them. Can you say Louisiana !!!
      Great report. You must of had a blast.

Comment

Looks and sounds like a GREAT trip!
        sigpic
        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Nice trip and great report - congrats.

Comment

Good report!
            the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Good job
              MANVEL MOB

Comment

Sweet!
                "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Nice mess of fish there Bill!
                    sigpic
                    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Working...
                    X