Size Trolling Motor for 17' Carolina Skiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size Trolling Motor for 17' Carolina Skiff

Can anyone recommend a brand and size trolling motor for my 17' skiff? Also, an installer? Great forum. Appreciate all the information.

17'? You can get away with a 12v 55lb thrust, I'd go with either MinnKota or Motorguide. For longer running I'd look at a 24V.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

If you plan on fishing birds get the 24v set up. I had the 55#/12v and it would die really quick. Check with Breakwater Marine for the install and they may be able to help you out.

Comment

Randy, maybe you had an electrical problem. I have a 12V 55# Minn Kota. It will run all day before it runs out of juice. I guess if you have room for three batteries on your 17' skiff, then go for it.
        "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
          Randy, maybe you had an electrical problem. I have a 12V 55# Minn Kota. It will run all day before it runs out of juice. I guess if you have room for three batteries on your 17' skiff, then go for it.
          That hull catches the wind with the high sides and it floats really shallow (4-6"). An extra battery wouldn't have been an issue if it's the 1765 hull or bigger. I remember drifting beside you in Hoeckers and I flew across the cove with two socks out. Your little cat just did it's thing! Long time ago Around 2002 B.K... Before Kids! Lol

Comment

didn't know breakwater installed trolling motors. they installed my stereo and chartplotter/fishfinder and did a great job. thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
            X